1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Funny Thing Happened

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by debilorrah, Oct 30, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I scared myself this morning with the unexpected. I was in my bathroom getting ready for work and I could hear one of the girls "producing", so when I was done, I got a banana, cut it up and took it out them before I checked the nest. Remember it is only about 7 am at this time and the hen house is rather dark.

I go in the hen house and look in the nests that are less popular first, then realize I can't see in the favorite one because it is too dark. So I reached in there to feel around for an egg. What did I find? MY EE SITTING ON THE NEST! Scared the peewaddin outta me! She started yelling at me and the roo came in and started yelling at me. I just backed out with my hands up saying "Layoff! It was a mistake!"

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    She was just a day early and trying to tell you "Trick or Treat!" [​IMG]

Reaching in the dark and touching something feathery sounds a little freaky though. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

It was especially because I thought they were all outside eating the banana!!!!

4. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my gosh! Lol. That's funny!

I had a very similar experience this morning. I was making my rounds feeding the critters before leaving for work. It was still dark. I went in the garage to feed the kitties, reached down inside the cat food bag, and felt something furry! I almost screamed. Then I calmed down and looked in the cat food bag and found.... the new kitten all curled up in there (one of the ones someone dropped off here on Sunday along with a puppy... look in my Drop Offs thread in the Pets section for pictures of said critters)!

5. debilorrah

Quote:I had a similar experience - someone had left a large rubbermaid container in the parking lot where I worked, completely covered in duct tape. The security guard came and got me because the container was moving and he was deathly afraid of snakes. Turned out to be a mother cat and 5 kittens that didn't even have their eyes opened yet. Needless to say I wound up with 6 cats.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    crazy things happen in the dark!

i went out to feed the meaties one morning and it was just getting light, so inside the hoop house is pretty dark.

they had knocked their water dish over. i reached down to flip it and out came the maddest cockerel i have met. scared the living tar right out of me! (i have been a pro clown for years and did magic...this was the first time i didn't have to set up the prop!)

he was chewing me out in about six different languages (none of which i understood), like i locked him under it.

(i am pretty sure the i heard the others laughing and making fun of him, and prolly me!)

7. debilorrah

Oh miss_jayne that is FUNNY!

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i have a gift for the ridiculous happening.

yours was funnier! i would be flipping out!

9. debilorrah

I practically had a heart attack when she started yelling at me. I was awake after that!!!!

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    she prolly had a stroke herself. sounds like her man was none to thrilled either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by