A funny thing happened...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by biddyboo, Oct 24, 2009.

1. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    I learned on this great forum that one way to keep hens from becoming bored and pecking/tormenting one another is to hang a head of cabbage just above their heads so they have to stretch or jump a little to get their treat. We tried that, and were delighted to watch our girls jumping and snacking and having fun. The first cabbage took them three day to devour. Now, they can have one reduced to nothing in an afternoon. But the funny thing...I could only find purple cabbage this week at the grocery. When I went out to check on the hens a few hours after hanging their treat, to my shock, I found little turquoise-teal colored piles of pooh all around their yard! No problems, the poohs were normal, but they looked like bits of turquoise gems sprinkled all around. Who would have thought...purple cabbage...bright blue poohs! Has anyone else had this happen...or some other strange and totally unexpected result following something you did for your flock? ~G

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I read something like that a while ago. Must be very odd looking! Pictures please?

3. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sounds like an easter egg hunt gone wrong.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Great way to put it.....but disgusting too!

5. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    Ha! Sorry, but no pics. I'd gone out to rake the chicken yard (weekly chore, keeping several inches of gravel for drainage clean and smell-free) and never thought about snapping some shots of their blue pooh. Has anyone else had odd things happen that surprised you? ~G

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

7. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:Great way to put it.....but disgusting too!

Don't pick up those eggs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by