A Gaggle of Geese

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
I hatched two sets of goose eggs last month. One was a mixed mutt batch that was supposed to be embdens. The other was a batch of eggs to test fertility and ended up being brown chinese mix - we think.

They are no longer in need of a brooder or a small holding pen.

gaggle1.jpg

They have graduated to a chain link kennel until they get some size on them and can defend themselves to wander the pasture.

gaggle2.jpg

I move this kennel one kennel width daily so they have fresh grass to graze.

gaggle3.jpg

The water in their pool is poured around the plants in my garden.

gaggle4.jpg

My little boy thinks he should get to climb in the pool with them.

They are so entertaining to watch. I love the 3rd photo where my little boy is talking to them and look like they are going to talk back.

If you have pasture to raise geese you will love having them around. One of them is feathering out with mature feathers that are very grey. It will be interesting to see how thye all turn out.

Anyone know how to sex a goose?

Edited to add -

The 3 largest goslings hatched on 3/28/08. the 2 smaller goslings hatched on 4/8/08.

Here are photos of the baby goats and the blue orpington chicks.

are those the geese you hatched and waited and waited for. If so they grow fast. how much do they weigh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they are just a few days shy of one month old and weigh maybe 3 pounds or so now. Maybe more. I haven't put them on the scale lately. It surprised me how quickly they grow. The other set is a week to ten days younger from a different set of eggs.

Oh, Miss Prissy - thanks for the pics!! These are about the same size as my two babies. I'm glad to see yours are outsie. Mine have been in my bathtub since I got them last Thursday evening and it won't be long till they can jump out and get hurt!

I have a chain link kennel as well and think I just might move the little guys out there.
smile.png

They are so funny to watch. One thing about them even at this age. If they don't want to be handled they let you know it. The biggest one loves to hiss. It will also claw your hands when you lift it. They have VERY sharp claws on those webbed feet!

Back
Top Bottom