a gentle rant about prayer

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by granmahen, Jan 20, 2009.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    Okay, I want to start out by saying I'm a minister's wife. That said, here goes. I am so tired of public prayers that seem to be preaching to the listeners here on this earth rather than the praising, adoring, thanking or beseeching of God. Yikes and double yikes. I wonder if God feels the same way?[​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Watched the inauguration huh?

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:the answer to your question is already written in the book....
    think pharisees...

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

It's something we all have to be aware of.

Even my kindergartner does it: "...and God, please don't let bubby toot on my bed anymore!"

I'll translate, if necessary, for anyone who doesn't know what 'toot" means.

Of course this prayer was said within hearing of the tooting older brother who temporarily lost the privelege of watching a movie while sitting on his sister's bed.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Personally, when someone asks for prayer I stop right then and there and send one up. I don't think God minds.......

6. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    My favorite kind of pray-ers are those that stop right there and pray. I confess I don't do that often enough (read rarely) but am trying.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am ready to stop and pray when I open the thread. If I don't have time or inclination I wait to open it. I figure people are askin for a reason, so I had better be prepared when I open it.

8. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Personally, when someone asks for prayer I stop right then and there and send one up. I don't think God minds.......

That would fall under the category of beseeching. [​IMG]

I get what granmahen is saying. I too am put off by people who use the occasion of public prayer to make it into a speech about political or social issues, or make the prayer about themselves, or whatever. It defeats the purpose of prayer, in my mind.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I can't speak for God but I agree with you!

10. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    I agree with you. Too many people have made the Creator into their own errand boy or Santa Claus. I hear so many "please let our team win the game" and 'Make my car start" and "help us pay the bills". Instead the prayer could be about giving thanks for having been given the talent to play the game, or appreciation for having a car to start with, or the skills to go out and get another job to pay your own bills. I can't believe that God is waiting for us to goof up so that we can be penalized by having our team lose, or our car conk out or our bills get overdue. And, that goes for bigger issues, world and national as well. When will people catch on, that we have already been given everything we could possibly need, and all we have to do is say "thank You" and use our heads to decide how it was meant to be used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by