A gift for my broody girl?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cozycritters, Apr 24, 2009.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I noticed today that I seemed to suddenly have seven chickens instead of eight. As my BO is the biggest, goldest, girl, I very quickly noticed she wasn't around.

Sure enough, she's sitting on one egg. I have some duck eggs that have been having a challenging time (half were smashed in the mail and then the incubator was off for about 6 hours) and we're trading our incubators in a week, so they didn't look like they had a prayer (they're on day five). So I figure, what the hay? And gave them to her. I made a little nesting box, had to push her off her egg, put the egg in with the four duck eggs, and push her into the little nest. She scowled at me the whole time and stayed in sitting position the whole process [​IMG]

I also put some food in the coop for her... my sister had a BO who starved herself almost to death hatching...

Think anything will come of this? [​IMG] We have no roosters, so this is her only chance for "offspring" LOL!

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Good luck! I hope she hatches bunches of ducklings!![​IMG]

3. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    gosh, that would be supercool! Keep us posted!

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    VERY cool!!! Their broody growl makes me giggle--they sit, buttsgo up in the air, and they make that low growl like, "don't mess with me!" I have a HUGE community duck nest(all the ducks keep laying in one pile even though they have LOTS of other places and choices to lay)...well, she decided to brood the whole nest--she has taken over completely! It's quite cute and she's taking her job very seriously! [​IMG]

5. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Dasher (son named her after the reindeer [​IMG]) is usually so mellow, so when my son discovered her SCOWLING in the corner he went to touch her and she pecked him. He was shocked! Now both of my boys are calling her "the angry chicken" and have fun peeking in at her to see her angry put-out expression.

I gave her a nesting box and some hay with the duck eggs and within the hour she, the eggs, and the hay, had moved, leaving an empty box. LOL Guess it wasn't good enough for her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by