A gigantic blood ring AND a live chick candled?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bearz, Jul 7, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    So, what do I do about this. I candled last night and one has this gigantic, obvious blood ring but also a chick moving around. Its day 6 or 7, I forget, and I'm inclined to leave it in there. Anybody ever have success with this?

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    If there's a ring with a live embryo, it's probably a bacterial ring. If it is, then the bacteria will likely kill the developing embryo. That has been my experience, but I REALLY hope that's not the case here.

3. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    alot of mine looked like that around the time you did yours. then mine changed and the big circle went away to the spider veiny look. i'm new to this though so wait for an expert.

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    DON'T throw that egg out. I think what some of us inexperienced candlers call a "blood ring" is just the network of veins that are being formed. I'm wondering if that could be why some peoples hatch rates are so low. It may NOT be a bacterial ring. I had a bacterial ring on a day 4 egg this morning and it was black. No doubt it was a bad egg.

When in doubt hang onto it for a minimum of 14 days and candle again.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Unless the egg is oozing or stinky, definitely leave it in there until at least day 14. If, at day 14, you're not seeing movement or an egg that is filling in and dark, THEN toss the egg before putting in the hatcher. Learned that lesson the hard way... [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

*edited because I can't spell this early in the morning... [​IMG]*

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That is most likely the vein network developing. It is a bit early to see it clearly and you will notice it better around 10 or 14 days, depending on shell color and thickness.

Jody

7. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I have this going on in my Pekin egg. It's on day 8 and the "blood ring" goes all the way around the darkness part that the embryo is in and I can see the other spidery veins in this darker part also. Does that make sense? But I will keep it since it's not oozy. I'm glad I read this, I was getting ready to open it and toss it.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    That's NOT a bloodring. I know just what you're describing. The vein network begins toward the top (large part) of the egg and grows around and down the egg as the chick grows. It begins to look like the "bloodring" is moving downward.

I really think folks are throwing away perfectly good eggs because of "bloodrings" that really aren't. That can really take your hatching percentage down!!

9. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    I have an egg that looks like that! I started to worry about it a few days ago when i first noticed it but I candled again last night and it's just really big veins! I was so glad!

10. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Thanks OTG, I was bummin there for awhile until I read this post and then for sure after I read yours I feel much better. It's my first hatch ever and I'm hoping I don't run into too much "drama" my first time out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by