a good breed for newbie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chick-e-poo, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Chick-e-poo

Chick-e-poo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    Western Maryland
    what is a good cold weather laying chicken for beginners? I know that sounds funny! We live in a pretty cold climate so that has narrowed my search a little. I really want a chicken that is good with kids (mine are 4 & 8). I was looking at the buff Orpingtons and the Wyandotte breeds. I guess I just don't want anything aggressive since my boys want to help take care of the chickens :)
    My parents had some Rhode Island reds for meat chickens so they didn't winter them over ;)

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Production reds.

Very docile,and hardy.Best layers around,besides the australorp,which is a great breed for beginners.

Most production reds have thay,"Don't put a hand on me!"me attitude.But,they don't like touched.Is it that big , of a dea

3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Breeds without single combs with pea, walnut or leadless rose seem to do okay with the cold. Silkies look like they can wistand the cold but their down protects them even less than a normal chicken. The Chantecler was designed specifically to withstand the cold canadian winters. Hope you can choose.

4. duckmom14

duckmom14 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    nevada
    it would be a rhoed island red there good layers for newbies[​IMG]

5. duckmom14

duckmom14 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    nevada
    the most sad thing happend on a post called my ducks[​IMG]

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Where are you located? There is cold, then there is COLD. Wyandottes are cold hardy, with their rose combs. Your kids are young so they may like some Easter Eggers for their unique colors and blue/green eggs.

7. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Rhode Island reds are too aggressive.

X2 on rosecombs.
    I never even thought about that.....

8. Chick-e-poo

Chick-e-poo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2015
    Western Maryland

We're in Garrett County Maryland. It can get in the teens & single digits during the winter.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I would suggest Black Australorps. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are incredibly hardy in both cold and heat, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of ours), and are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    That's not that cold. Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Rocks, Austrolorps, and Easter Eggers are all good. If you don't care much about high egg production there are Cochins. I have Faverolles which are very docile but generally lay medium-large eggs.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by