A good Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by toejam, May 30, 2010.

1. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Would a coop that is 8ft long, 5ft wide and 2ft high work for 10-15 broilers? If not, what would work.
  2. Whitewater

Whitewater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    8 ft long and 5 ft wide gives you a total of 40 square feet, which other more experienced people will tell you is enough room for 10 chickens inside the coop, because the general standard seems to be 4 square feet per bird in the coop itself, and 10 square feet per bird in the run -- speaking of which, you didn't give any run dimensions, even meat birds like to get out of the coop every once in a while, I would, if I were in your situation, consider adding a run. Maybe later after your broilers are gone you'll want layers, who knows?

Somebody who has more experience with meat birds will probably come along shortly [​IMG] I am assuming the space requirements are the same for meat birds as they are for layers but maybe they aren't, I honestly don't know, as I've been concentrating on our very small flock of egg-layers and getting info that's relevant to their own needs.

Hope this helps!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Industrially, meat chickens are raised with less than 2 sq ft per chicken; you'd be giving them twice that.

Personally I prefer to give them more room for exercise, but what you propose will certainly *work*. As the previous poster says, if you could add more area (e.g. a run) it'd be nice.

If this is an enclosed indoor type coop, remember you will need MUCHO ventilation and open-air-ness, as broilers are INCREDIBLY MIND-BOGGLINGLY stinky and need much, much, much more fresh air than normal chickens do.

Good luck, have fun,

4. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    ok, well I miss spoke. This will be put on the grass and be moved to fresh patches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by