a good "how to" book on Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SweetPromise, Mar 15, 2013.

1. SweetPromise

SweetPromise Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    I want to learn more about raising Coturnix quail and I am suprised to not be able to find many books on them. I had assumed there would be a "storey's guide to quail" or something, but my google searches are coming up empty. Something that shows the pros and cons of different breeds, basic housing and feed requirements etc. I am learning a lot on here too but a book would be nice :).
    Any suggestions?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    There just aren't many books out there on quail. It is really a "learn as you go" kind of thing. However there are many knowledgeable folks here in this section. So ask away with any questions you might have in particular! :)

3. SweetPromise

SweetPromise Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2012
    Thank you for your response :) I have learned a lot by reading old posts on here, about all kinds of poultry!

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Another thing I did, was googled "Raising Quail". I literally went throught hundreds of web pages, but found those produced by Mississippi States Agricultural Department to be very informative. Texas A&M does have a lot of PDF files out there, but a majority of theirs is maintaining the habitat, and things land owners can do to attract more quail. I know I posted something about this a month ago... I'm at work, but when I get home, I'll display some of the informative links I have saved on my puter.

5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    try using the term "gamebird"

6. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Wouldn't you know... Mississippi State has re-organized their document library and some of their links are working. When I first checked, no links were working, but now they seem to be "touch and go".

Here is another link to Producing Quail for home consumption by Texas A&M.

Here is the link to Team Quail from Texas A&M. Most of this link pertains to land management, but it still has good info.

7. NicoleRook

NicoleRook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Lake Community, NJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by