a good kinda dairy goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by wildriverswolf90, Sep 20, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Ok so me and my family are the path to being partly self-sustaining farmers!
    Got the chickens for eggs!
    Got a veggie garden and 1 apple tree and 1 peach tree!
    Now I want a good dairy goat, do you guys have any opinions on a good layed back breed! Or maybe even a small cow? [​IMG] thanks!

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  3. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I'd like to invite you to our sister site, www.backyardherds.com - we have lots of goat folks and cattle people who would love to answer any questions that you have.
    Forums are specific to the type of animal that you are discussing and we have a lot of new stuff happening right now over there [​IMG]

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    we have lamanchas... very calm curious personalities, adorable ear-less faces, very mild milk, not at all goaty. we've got goats in our herd that produce between 1 1/2 quarts and 2 gallons a day. they're easy kidders, easy keepers, over all very nice goats. easy goats for first time goat keepers as well.

5. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Thanks everyone! WOW I had no clue there were that many types of dairy goats! Many places in my area have dairy goats for sale but they are pure bred and run a couple hundred dollars! I hope I can find one that fits in my budget!

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I love LaManchas! We had minis but when we get goats again, I plan on having standard LaManchas. Some people don't like their ears, but I think they are adorable! They are a great backyard dairy breed.

7. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:I have a mini lamancha now, she's the only one in my mini-herd that wants to hang out. comes and stares soulfully into my eyes and waits for me to scratch her on the neck and shoulders. really lovely little goat. my only gripes with the minis are 1) not enough milk and 2) SHORT! oh, wait, that's the point. right. maybe I just need a taller milking stand for her.
    *love* my full sized lamanchas.

to the OP, a fair producing dairy goat, proven milker, should run between $150 and $400, depending on the quantity of milk she produces, if she's currently in milk, and her age. if you're doing this for the milk, spend the extra and get a known, proven producer, currently in milk. I've had a couple of "unknown" goats, they cost a lot less, but they eat just as much and they produce a lot less milk. scrimping on the purchase price will not result in a good deal. registered or not is up to you, I have some of each. FWIW, the hands down top producer in my bunch is registered, and from a line of championship milkers. everyone else produces less, for the same cost of feed. she cost more than the other does, but she's far far out proudced them.

and if you're going to hand milk her, pay close attention to the size of her teats. you want handlebar teats. cow teats. teats long enough to get your whole hand on and have some left over. it's possible to learn to hand milk on a doe with sheep teats, or mouse teats, but it's really, really hard! first fresheners (first time moms) are sometimes cheaper, but if you get one, make sure she's used to being hand milked before you take her home. it's tough to learn to milk on a goat that's kicking, jumping and standing on her head every time you touch her udder!

fair warning, goats are addicting.

8. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I noticed you said you only wanted one. Goats need to be kept in pairs at least. A solo goat is a very LOUD and distressed goat. You can easily get a doe for milking, and then a wether for a companion. Or two does and rotate who is in milk.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Kinders. They have the richest milk of all, the best tasting milk of all, and make a TON of cheese with their milk. They're also very pretty, colorful, extremely laid back and half the trouble makers other breeds are.

And I'm sorry but I HATED the LaManchas I had. [​IMG] Troublesome, dumb, horrible tasting milk, low butterfat content, and did I mention dumb?

I know that isn't the case with all, but, mine were just terrible.

My Kinders though were the best - And they were just soo calm, sweet, and almost never actually did anything troublesome. (climbing the fence, getting tangled in things, etc)

Plus they're smaller than most other breeds, yet at the same time quite meaty.

10. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    Quote:yup, good advice. wethers are cheap to buy as well, and make sociable pets.
    don't get a buck, you can always borrow or rent one when you need him. bucks are not always easy to handle, and they're smelly during rutting season. plus you have to have two pens, or he'll pester the doe to distraction... there's a reason Pan, the ancient god of living the wild life, is half goat...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by