A good morning from Saskatchewan, Canada

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sweetened, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Sweetened

Sweetened Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Good Morning everyone!

I joined and lurked a couple years ago before my dreams of back yard chickens were dashed by a city ordinance put in shortly after I moved to the small, rural community. I'm happy to say I'm back and here to learn. The man and I will be moving to our very own 15 acres before the beginning of November of this year and it already has a chicken coop on the property! All it needs is some re-shingling and to have the floor re-done. That shouldn't be too hard! From what I've read, thick plywood with a thick coat of a platic-based sealant should do the trick. Let me know If you have any other suggestions!

Ideally, I'll plan to have a small flock of maybe 6 birds to start and I'm interested in finding out what the most cold-hardy variety of chickens would be. From reading through, it seems lots of people with very cold temperatures leave their flocks unheated as long as they have insulated shelter and a reliable wind break and this fact interests me very much as I thought I had read somewhere that chicken's get frostbite easily.

I'm not really sure what else to say. Any questions or suggestions are great and I look forward to getting to know the regulars and lurkers alike.

-Melissa

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hi Melissa, welcome to BYC.
    We don't live in a very cold place, so I don't know much about insulating, but I've read that piling strawbales around your coop helps a lot.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, Sweetened! Glad to have you on BYC!! Happy you secured some land to raise birds! [​IMG] Best of luck with the Canadian winter!

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello Melissa and welcome to BYC. It gets pretty cold here. -20F or colder that lasts up to a week or so. We fully insulated the coop, but we are adding a ceramic heat emitter during the cold days. We also built the run where snow can not fall on the ground with 1/2 the run area. This is our first flock, so I'm not really sure how this will work out.

5. riverchicks

riverchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Hello and welcome! I'm glad you are finally able to get the chickens you've been dreaming about. There's lots of helpful information here and lots of experienced people. Enjoy![​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Melissa! Welcome from Ohio, in the United States!

So glad you could relocate and now can have your own flock.

Take care,
    Sharon

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.