A GOOD Neighbor story

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by harveyhorses, Jun 21, 2011.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    There seem to be so many horrible ones out there, I just wanted to show people there are good ones.
    We sold the land where our barn and boat dock had been, and the family built a very nice house, very friendly, he is country born and bred, she not so much but very interested in plants and critters. They love watching the girls when they free range and their dog just cracks me up, tries to be a guard dog, will lie down in front of the girls to keep them from going down to the pond, but if they 'stalk' her she scoots backwards. Anyway this morning he (Greg) came over and said my fence (electric) had gotten something last night, they were on their deck around midnight and heard something get zapped and make a horrible fuss, he said he thought it sounded like a VERY big coon, and he was keeping his gun next to his deck door.
    That is what I call a good neighbor!

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Nice to hear a good neighbor story. So many bad ones. How awesome. [​IMG]

3. Wow! A good neighbor. [​IMG] Where is this lost soul. Are they the only good neighbors left. Ha ha ha. Just kidding.

I am very fortunate as I have never had a bad one [​IMG] yet. Both in Phoenix and in San Diego having lived in a specific areas where chickens are "forbidden" I have had great success raising the often NOISY and sometimes CROWING chickens. Yes, giving out free eggs surely helps with our cause. So does watching their dogs when they get loose. Helping with lending "any and all my tools [​IMG] repeatedly" and generally committing acts of kindness/goodness will help others look past the chickens and the quail.

Good for your new neighbors. [​IMG]

4. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I wish our neighbors were like that. Where we live there are alot of rich snobs with tons of property. What do they do with the property? Nothing lol we're the only ones on our street with chickens, goats and dogs. One day our neighbor saw us walking our goats and said we needed our own reality show because we owned goats...I don't know about you but I don't think that show would do very well [​IMG]

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    People make fun of us because we have chickens, dogs and goats. Should have seen the laughter from my neighbor when my friend and I made chicken saddles. They than went to church and told everyone. They all thought I had gone overboard and nuts. Oh well. I don't care.

6. MrCluckers

MrCluckers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    Here is another example of good neighbors. I live in the country and have neighbors on both sides of me. Anyway, the other day I was out having a supervised free range with my 25 LF light brahmas, and everyone was enjoying themselves. One of my cockerals give a warning sound and they all start running for the bushes. I look up and see a hawk gliding above us. I shout, hollar, wave my arms, and am basically acting like a maniac hoping to scare this hawk away ( I know its not really effective, but it was my reaction at the time). I shout to my one neighbor who is out cleaning his pool if I can borrow his airsoft gun to maybe startle the hawk. As we are yelling back and forth across the yards, we see a ball of light arcing towards the hawk. We both look over to my other neighbor, and see that he has just fired off a flare gun at the hawk. He is the closer of the two neighbors and the one I bribed with future fresh eggs, apparently he was protecting his future returns. LOL

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrCluckers

First, let me say. [​IMG]

Second, if you are in the US, even bothering a hawk is very very very illegal. I would seriously reconsider posting anything on a public forum that details illegal activities. [​IMG]

I've had my share of hawk problems too so I get your frustration.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Very nice to hear....I wish all neighbors were like that..

9. wychickenwrangler

wychickenwrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    Cool stories !!!!!!! What a relief it must be to know that they have your back when the chips are down. It's just to bad that there are a lot of people out there who don't know the meaning of the word neighborly!!!!

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I will trade my crap neighbor for yours!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by