A good place to BLOG?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Sunny Side Up, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I love to write, and having a place in cyberspace in which to safely keep what I do seems great. Especially since the hard drive crashed in my home computer and I lost some recent work! I didn't even know that could happen, that's how much of a Wilma Flintstone I am.

Where is a good place to have & keep a blog? Must you pay for it? Can you keep it secure, keep it private or only invite certain people to read it? Or is it public domain once you "put it out there"? I may want to have both types, things I write for the world to see, and other things to keep more private.

Please share what you know about blogs with me, thank you!

2. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    Lots of places for free blogs, and where you can incorporate automatic advertising to actually make money from a public blog.

wordpress is free, does not have "built in advertising" (don't recall the particulars on whether you can incorporate ads from an outside ad network though)

google has Blogger, which is free and advertising can be used from their ad network or an outside one.

Either of those can be private, invite only, or public, etc.

Lots of others. Do a search on "how to start a blog" and you'll get lots of articles and blog hosting sites that should help start the process.

Have fun! [​IMG]

ETA: Blogger is what I use, and I've been happy with it in general. If you want just a basic page, it's fairly easy to set up. But you can make it as complex and have a ton of different features if you want to.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Blogger is awesome. Lots of customization options if you want to use them, but they can be ignored. Free, ad free, and fairly user friendly too! [​IMG]

4. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Quote:Wordpress! Wordpress, I tell you!! [​IMG] My blog host is cooler than your blog host!

I prefer Wordpress because everything is in neat, straight lines, with categories and subcategories for everything you might want. [​IMG] Perfect for scatterbrained people like me who can't figure out Blogger's complicated dashboard layout. But to each their own.

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Wordpress! Wordpress, I tell you!! [​IMG] My blog host is cooler than your blog host!

I prefer Wordpress because everything is in neat, straight lines, with categories and subcategories for everything you might want. [​IMG] Perfect for scatterbrained people like me who can't figure out Blogger's complicated dashboard layout. But to each their own.

Blogger, complicated? That's Wordpress, I tell you! All those sneaky little Wordpress dropdown menus... Ugh. [​IMG]

Blogger is the only way to go.[​IMG]

[​IMG] Honestly, Wordpress isn't bad. It's just not my style.

6. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama

Blogger, complicated? That's Wordpress, I tell you! All those sneaky little Wordpress dropdown menus... Ugh. [​IMG]

Blogger is the only way to go.[​IMG]

[​IMG] Honestly, Wordpress isn't bad. It's just not my style.

Can you run Blogger on Heroku?

I didn't think so. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by