A Good Substitute for Chicken Feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ducclelover10, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Ducclelover10

Ducclelover10 Overrun With Chickens

I was just wondering what a good substitute for chicken feed was? I want something with a good source of calcium and protein!
    Any ideas?

2. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    I mix layer and game bird starter for higher protein and put Oyster on the side.

3. zara30

zara30 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    sun dried potato

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    To achieve the best production and to maintain health, birds need a diet that is balanced in terms of vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Chicken feed is make to do just that. Excessive amounts of nutrients are just as damaging as deficiencies can be. Home diets often fail woefully to provide a complete and balanced diets. There are some people on BYC that have formulas for home made diets that are balanced - however, they are usually more expensive to formulate than the diets you can purchase already made.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Seriously? You'd propose this as a complete, balanced diet for poultry [or anything else]?

6. Ducclelover10

I'll try to find a good BYC diet formula. The cost shouldn't matter, we only have to do it for one chicken who won't eat her feed.
    Thanks for all of your help everyone!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  7. Ducclelover10

Okay, I figured out foods to give her for vitamins, fats, proteins, carbohydrates, and calcium. but what about minerals? What kind of food should I give her for minerals?

8. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Will that chicken eat anything else?

9. Ducclelover10

She'll eat most things, just not chicken feed.

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    She will eat chicken feed if she is hungry enough, believe me. She will not starve herself to death. If you are offering her too much supplemental feeds and treats, she is not hungry enough to eat the chicken feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by