A good time in the spring to hatch out

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennyhaschicks, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    We are in Maine. I am getting the fever, but I don't want to hatch out any chicks quite yet.
    When do you New Englanders hatch chicks?
    I am thinking about putting them in the bator around the beginning of February. Then I would keep them inside for 8-10 weeks. I have a brooder set up in my chicken coop where they would be kept warm after that.
    So when you are all doing the bator thing?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I'm in NH and hoping to hatch more this spring (having a baby in a few weeks so we will see what happens, I HOPE I CAN!!!!)

I was thinking about starting in middle of Feb, the chicks would hatch the first week in March and they could go out in in April/May.

Thats what I would do. Good luck !!

3. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG] Come on February. [​IMG]
    Good luck swtangel in the upcoming weeks. Good luck hatching out in the spring as well.

4. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Thanks [​IMG] What are you planning on hatching ?

5. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Well. I am planning on hatching some Mille Fleur d uccles. They are my new babies. (well they are not babies)
    Maybe a few silkies
    Most likely some cross breeds too. I have barred rock hens, a white leghorn hen.
    My roo is a RIR.
    I also have a couple buff orp roos. One of these guys needs to go soon though.

What are you planning on hatching?

6. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Do you really want chickens in your house for 8 weeks? I almost went nuts after 2!

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you really want chickens in your house for 8 weeks?

5-6 weeks is about all I can stand! I guess the question is how many chicks???​

8. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jenny, I just put my incubator away. :lol I put my 6 weekers out a few days ago. They are doing great in a covered makeshift coop I made inside a horsestall. So far I have one heated 250 watt bulb in there and it is staying about 60 degrees away from the light.

I would put them in Feb 1, keep them in the house for one month or so and put them out in a covered set up in your coop at the end of March. That should work out fine, as long as you can keep the area heated to a reasonable level, like 70 or so.

So order your eggs and get going.

I am in central Maine and an enabler.[​IMG]

9. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Yah, I don't mind.

10. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Well. I am planning on hatching some Mille Fleur d uccles. They are my new babies. (well they are not babies)
    Maybe a few silkies
    Most likely some cross breeds too. I have barred rock hens, a white leghorn hen.
    My roo is a RIR.
    I also have a couple buff orp roos. One of these guys needs to go soon though.

What are you planning on hatching?

I have a flock of silkies and BR's. Might try a few EE/BR mixes to see how many of them lay blue eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by