A good way to keep your hens out of the nestboxes at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by M To The Maxx, Nov 1, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    This may seem stupid to some people. We use paint buckets. We put them in the very front entrance of each nestbox. It really works. You have to have a paint bucket as big as the nest box (a little smaller). Our RIR hen Angel started clucking at me to night. She wanted me to get them out of there! Apparently. I hope this helps some people. [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yep...I use buckets (mop/slop buckets for me) too!! [​IMG]

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    My nest box is 3 nest wide and 2 high. I've attached a heavy cloth window shade that I pull down to block the nests.

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    why can't they sleep in their nest boxes? I would want to. If I were a bird. I really wouldn't fit otherwise.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:They poop in the nestboxes so much at night. So you have to clean it out every morning.

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Because they soil the nest boxes. They really shouldn't sleep where they lay. They should have a roost for sleeping and a nest box to lay in.

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    mine huddle up in a corner and ignore the roosts.
    I could just pick up the nest boxes and set them outside of the coop.
    Thanks for letting me know this.

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:After a week or two of blocking the nest boxes, they should get the hint and you shouldn't need to do that anymore. It's just a matter of training them. Once they get in the habit of doing something else, they'll be good to go.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Again, it's just a matter of training them. At dusk each night, go out and put them on the roost. After a week or so it will be automatic.

10. I have had a real problem with my hens. I have a chicken butt in every hole every morning for over a month.

Oh, they get out and feed and drink and run around, but every morning it is a few different butts in there. I have about 3 that are broody and getting the eggs out from underneath is alway a good time.

I usually mark a few for each hen and let her hatch out a few chicks. It is getting cold though. Crazy hens.

I have halved my nest boxes and only have taken the bottoms out of the 8 bottom nest boxes. I is rather humorous to see a hen or tso trying to get into the bottom boxed cuase they just end up on the floor with a "MEAN EYE".

I have ONE hen that runs out of the barn in the morning and heads for the hay stack in the horse barn. She lays everyday and I eat those eggs. She is a nice little Cinnamin queen, very sweet and lays some nice big brown eggs.

The rest of the eggs we sell or give away. I figure i am going to lose about a third of my flock this winter. Old hens, predators, disease and given away are the necessity for the winter months.

I have a whole lot more Guineas this year, so i hope the Predators will dine a little less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by