A great arguement for alternative energy

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kitchwitch, Sep 22, 2010.

1. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    At the moment W. Pennsylvania is being hit with massive storms. I was innocently watching videos on YouTube regarding quail processing when the electric went out. Everything at my house is run with electric. I have no stove, oven, air conditioning, lights, Internet, etc. I am also currently out of propane for the grill. Lol! No hot meal tonight!
    I'd run out for dinner except that there are no street lights working anywhere. In fact, this post is brought to you courtesy of iPhone. So the next time my husband brushes off solar backup I might strangle him. But you didn't hear that from me :p

enjoy your well fed, air-conditioned evenings everyone!

Kitchwitch

2. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Well what a lot of people do is use a gas or propane generator for backup. Then they use solar either to sell back power to their power company and reduce their electric bill, or to supplement or replace the electricity they use. Solar that charges storage batteries or builds up hot water can work well too.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  3. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Solar?

How much money you got?

It would take a very expensive and very large solar array to run the utilities you mentioned.

Spend about $700, get yourself a 5kw standby portable generator. You can run your fridge, freezer, microwave oven, and some lights.

While your at it buy yourself a small window A/C, 5000btu or so (less than $100 at Home Depot), small enough to run with the generator, but large enough to cool a bedroom or small living room.

It would take a huge generator to run your hot water heater or the stove/oven.

This advice comes from the land of the hurricane, Andrew, Katrina, Rita, Gustav. Electricity out for weeks at a time.

and

I survived!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I really need to get a big generator....

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Solar is not that bad if one can get an agricultural grant, which would pay for about 2/3 of it. But the price is getting better all the time anyway. Thin film technology.

And I'm not sure it's so bad in the southwest where a lot of solar energy comes along. I went through all the calculations once and it would cost me about 15k out of pocket and would pay for itself in 10 yrs.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
  7. Q9

Q9 General Headache

I've always like the idea of home solar generators. The trouble is, many people are turned off by their incessant advertisement as "green." They should be promoted more as a way to save money and gain personal independence instead.

A backup generator is probably a good idea. A few years ago we had an ice storm that knocked out the power. Fortunately, our neighbors had a generator. [​IMG]

8. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    Haha, i should add we do have a generator... At my mother in laws house :)

Maybe this isn't so much an alternative energy issue as it is a procrastination issue :)

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Here in hurricaine country of Eastern NC the back up "genny" is the way to go. I built a small shed right beside the meter base on the house and wired in a plug to the base. Power goes out, unlock the door start the generator, while it's warming up plug in the cord, then go inside and turn on the breakers. Total system cost at most $1500 and worth every penny when we have lost power for a week +

Steve

10. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    Here in Louisiana generators are like cockaroachs..I have 2 preped and ready. Solar addition is my dream..need to win the Lotto first though [​IMG] twentynine hit the points.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by