a group of 5 ducks 1 being ostracised by the males

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mom2Cool, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Ok so I have 5 ducks 2 of them are Silver applyard duck hens They were a year old this past spring & I'd gotten another 3 ducks that are Khaki Campbells 2 of them are Drakes & 1 a hen, so total there are 5 ducks w/2 of them drakes & 3 of them hens. I had wanted more ducks because the predators here had taken my original group of ducks down to the 2 last winter & I didn't want to end up with a single duck that's lonely. Anyway the Campbells came here last spring & are now full grown & everyone looked to be happy & healthy. From time to time there's been a bit of running around chasing one another but I figured that was them becoming sexually mature & on occasion I've noticed the different breeds break off into different groupings so the Campbells would be off on their own & the same for the appleyards.. Anyway I've noticed recently that 1 of my appleyard hens is being like outted from the group & actually chased out of the group by the Campbell drakes. Originally I thought it was just the 1 drake but now it looks like it's both... Why would they suddenly be behaving this way? I was actually more ready for them to be fighting each other or trying to breed hens too much & thought that would be the reason I'd want to thin out the group. I don't really want that because 1 there's always that threat of a hawk on occassion still & I was kind of looking forward to next spring having some home grown ducklings.... Any words of wisdom from those who know ducks??

2. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Ok so now I'd noticed a couple eggs out by the pond & I'm wondering if maybe the new little hen is starting to lay & that is one of the issues with the drakes? It's just so odd that they'd be chasing away 1 hen like this. If it was for matting purposes then they'd be after all the hens wouldn't they? It was one heck of a long day here in the yard & I'm thinking tomorrow maybe taking a broom to em if it starts again.

3. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    Perhaps you need more hens or one less drake. Ducks can be click-y critters so maybe they're just trying to oust her for that reason. It seems like two drakes and three hens could be a problem though. Don't quote me, but a more ideal ratio might be 1 drake for every three to five hens. At least that's what I aim for. Keeps the drama to a minimum and feathers on everybody looking nicer.

4. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    My runner drake has 5 hens and he decided to pick on one of them for a while. I picked him up and held him upside down every once in a while and things have settled down quite a bit. I don't think he likes me much. The other ducks eat peas out of my hand, but I got him as an adult and he never has. I was feeling sorry for him and picked him up and held him and tried to give him a handful of peas... he wouldn't have anything to do with them. He would only eat them if I threw them on the floor of the pen. I guess he is still mad at me.

5. Mom2Cool

May 8, 2008
    Thanks for the tips. I had a feeling that it had something to do with the ratio of ducks too but I didn't dream they'd be outting a female, but rather the drakes would be fighting... None of my ducks are hand tame & I'm not sure I could catch em to hold them upside down but I'm thinking maybe I'll just need to pen up the drakes for a while separate & of course today the broom is always an option.... lol So frustrating having birds some times huh? Thanks again all for the tips...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by