1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

A guess on gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snowlyf, Jul 9, 2010.

1. snowlyf

snowlyf Hatching

Jul 8, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    My chicks will be 4 weeks old on Monday. I raised chickens while in my teens and have taken a hiatus. I'm having to re-learn EVERYTHING! [​IMG] I have 7 chicks and have no clue what gender they are. I'm not super concerned about breeds (assuming these are all mutts), but if one looks familiar, that would be fun to know, too!

The place I purchased the eggs from asks that, if you need to return any chicks, you do so by around 4 weeks. After that, they charge $15 per chicken (rooster, in our case) to place. We live in a city that does not allow roosters, so we are trying to only keep laying hens.

Thanks in advance for any help or guesses!

There are 4 yellow chicks. They all looked very similar up until recently. Now I can distinguish the 2 with larger, floppy combs, and the 2 with combs that seem to have stopped growing.
    [​IMG]

One of the yellows with the small comb:
    [​IMG]

We call the one in the foreground "Firstborn." We were initially going to call him/her Henrietta, but s/he grew so big so quickly, I just sort-of figured he was a roo. But he's incredibly calm and mellow. Still much bigger than the others, but that could just be the breed, right? His/her legs are really stocky and are an avocado green.
    [​IMG]

We initially thought these 2 were girls, but the one in the foreground is a confrontational pain in the butt. Personality? Pecking order? Or sign that "she" is a "he"?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Crowing

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Can't see the pictures but did cut and paste a couple of the urls and it looks like two roos and a pullet on the one labeled 3 of the 4 yellows.

3. snowlyf

snowlyf Hatching

Jul 8, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    I just fixed the photos. Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I was guessing that the yellows with the floppy combs were roos, but it's been so difficult to find anything to support or confirm.

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Crowing

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Yeah those two are DEFINATELY roo's. Firstborn looks like a roo also, the others look to be pullets.

5. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Songster

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Last pic: boy in frount, girl in back. 3rd pic: back is a boy(the white one), and I think the brown one is a girl...another pic might help... cheack the neck feathers: pointed feathers 4 a boy rounded feathers 4 a girl. your whites with small combs are girls, the big combs are boys.
    but I'm not always right with my gusses! [​IMG] good luck rachel (sarahs daughter)

6. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I know they are probably mutts but I like the coloring on the black and white ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: