A guinea in the hen house

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by oscarsdriver, Apr 4, 2012.

1. oscarsdriver

oscarsdriver Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    First off I'm not sure this topic goes here, but since I'm worried about the ramifications of the flock then I though flock management was the first place I'd start. Ok, so I go out side last night to lock my chickens in their coop and I see a guest in the run. To my surprise (because I live on 180 acres and in rural land at that) I find a creature that looks like a mixture between a duck and a turkey (duck body and turkey head) in the run! What the heck! I'm dumbfounded, first because I've never seen and albino turkey, or a duck as mangled as the one I'm looking at. After some research I found that I am in possession of a (what I think) is a porcelain guinea fowl. Male or Female, I have no clue.

So now the question is what do I do with the thing... I can't catch it ( the thing moves like a roadrunner on crack), but I'm afraid that it might cause some sort of desease or something and kill off my birds. I'm really worried because I just introduced a rooster to my flock and after mutilating his comb, my friendly but fiesty chickens have finally excepted him. Yet they don't really know what to make of this "turduck" thing.

I wonder if guinea's are tasty? I've also heard that if it's a male it might run my new rooster to death. Please any suggestions will help! Keep it... get rid of it ( and how), I don't know... please help.

And if you have any guesses on how the crazy ( and lonely I might add) thing got behind my home let me know... I guess this part of the puzzle could become quite comical. Fire away!

2. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    I have never had guineas but they do fly high. First, see if any of your neighbors have guineas and if not catch it with a net and take it far away and leave it, kill it, sell it, give it away, or do whatever you want with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by