A Happy Hello from south Louisiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BayouPoules, Aug 17, 2010.

1. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

(1) Are you new to chickens?
    Well yes and no. My DH and I both grew up around them, liked them, fed them, pet them and gathered eggs but caring for and protecting them sure is a whole new ballgame and we are reading and learning all we can to make sure we do it right!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Six little ladies in the brooder.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    Barred Rock, Australorps and GL Wyandottes

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    We surfed on in like everyone else looking for chicken info and found it to be the friendliest place with a family-like atmosphere and been gobbling up all the learning we could for a couple of months now.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Fishing, gardening, bird watching, reading and spending time in God's word & with family.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    After 20 yrs as an X-Ray Tech I quit to homeschool a wonderful daughter and be a [email protected] and wife to an awesome husband.
    I grew up in the country with lots of animals and though I can't live like that now, we want our DD to get to have as many as we can here on our
    one acre here in Bayou Lacombe. ( across the Lake from New Orleans) Our town is still rural enough to enjoy, but it sure had grown since Hurricane Katrina.
    We have one pawpaw mutt that has been the best dog I ever had. One new kitty ( I lost my kitty of 18 yrs to old age) our six chicks and assorted lizards and snakes as DD catches and releases them. Hope to be adding a goat or two soon. We are so grateful for all the hard work and time it must take to keep BYC going and for all the nice people giving such honest and helpful info.
    We hope to be posting photo's soon as DH is still working on the coop and run,. (which is on hold as he is on the other side of the country with the Seabees,.. the Navy always seems to need him when he in the middle of a project??)
    A Grateful New Egg,
    Yvette

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    loved your intro!! [​IMG] from ct.!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Welcome from Opelousas, Louisiana. [​IMG]

Glad that you're here. [​IMG]

4. BayouPoules

[​IMG] Well thank ya'll very much! Ya'll are fast! Hey Kuntrygirl,.. you are probably one of the few that knows where my DH's family is from,... Big Mamou! ( I had never heard of it until I met them)
    Also have family in Broussard! You have quite the menagerie out there in Boudan Land!

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    [​IMG] From Western Washington State

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Yes ma'am. I am right down the road from Mamou. And I work close to the Broussard area, so I know exactly where those places area. And the Boudain is yum yum good! If you are ever in the area, let me know and you can come over and see my critters. [​IMG]

7. BayouPoules

Thanks! We would just love it! We'll bring some of our mayhaw jelly and biscuits to go with some T- Boys boudan!
    We would love to see all those feathered friends of yours!
    yvette

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG] I moved to Tucson 13 years ago from New Orleans. I still miss Louisiana, really miss the water.

9. BayouPoules

Quote:Wow! Gallo del Cielo,.. that's quit a culture change,.. I bet you DO miss the water,.. but remember the late summer "monsoons" ,.. we are trying to raise the coop high enough to avoid the yearly floods and swatting mosquitoes big enough to file a flight plan! ( got to keep them out of the coop!)
    I bet AZ has some beautiful landscapes!

10. BayouPoules

Quote:I like YOUR BYC page. We think Oreo is the perfect name for that bunny and you girls have a nice home! Hope to see photo's of sheep soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by