A Happy New Chicken Owner Story

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CoopDelisle, Apr 21, 2008.

1. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    Today was just one of those days that feels real satisfying. A gorgeous spring day when all of the trees are green, the perennials from last year are up and happy, the birds are singing, I saw a pair of bobwhites noshing at the feeder, and our chicken run is finished and our chickens are thriving. Makes a chicken owner feel right proud. We started with 15 pullets that we ordered from Ideal. They are now eight weeks old, and fat and sassy. When they were about four and a half weeks old, we went to the feed store and picked out five baby EEs. Now those babies are five weeks old. We kept them separated for about a month, and then put them in the coop with the older chicks, separated by a hardware cloth fence for another week or so, and now we took that down tonight. They have been establishing their area rights, but no pecking or blood letting, just a little chasing. And we have realized one of the new chicks is a he, and possibly two he's. But everything seems so tranquil. We just love having them, and seeing them contentedly pecking around in their run. It makes us happy to see that we have made them happy. Now just looking forward to collecting those first eggs! I would like to post some pics tomorrow of our new coop and run...it turned out so adorable. We had a gathering at our home yesterday, and our friends commented that it was not what they expected to see when they heard that we had chickens. They wondered if we were going to put in A/C and a flat screen TV in for them next! Sorry for so long a post, just feeling happy that things are going so well so far! A happy chicken story![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I love those days, too. Right now, we're a bit sad here, after losing our main man, Hawkeye, but his son is making us very proud and we have lots of babies in the bator about to hatch, the roses are about to bloom, looks like a great blueberry and apple crop this year... just all systems GO for a great spring and summer. Thanks for the Happy Chicken Story! [​IMG]

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your right it great to have chickens.an so much fun an enjoyment raising them.

4. RayP

RayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Gainesville Florida
    I was supposed to be out finishing the chicken coop today but spent most of my time inside with the girls just watching them, I agree a great day.

5. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    (so sorry about hawkeye, I saw that thread the other day. I just lost 8 chickens in a dog attack about 4 weeks ago and you never seem to get over it), but I agree today was a good day. I picked up 4 maran chicks and built a small pen for them. It felt great doing something on my own and it working out great. I can't wait to build my big coop this may. so excited

6. CoopDelisle

CoopDelisle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Gulf Coast
    Speckled, I read your story, and I was so sad for you. My DH and I have gone through the empty nest with our human children, and it was sooner than we thought it would be. It was also a bit tougher than we thought it would be. This chicken project has brought us closer and given us something to work on together, and we are getting so much more enjoyment out of it than we hoped. I am glad that you have a Hawkeye junior to watch grow up and carry on the legacy. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

He may be gone, but everything he left behind is all good and positive! They make us satisfied and happy, these crazy birds. Enjoy them! They'll provide you hours of entertainment, wonderful food, organic fertilizer, bug control and just a great hobby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by