1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A hard lesson to learn...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Malibu99, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Well, Thanks to Nemo, I lost 15 fish (at least). When the power went out, the house got to 40 degrees... and without power, the tank heaters weren't working. I went in my room... And I saw ALL of my guppies on the bottom of the tank, some upside-down. We brought the fish near the fireplace, and they began waking up... I lost 4 adult guppies and at least 7 fry (baby fish). On top of that, Grace the 7-year-goldfish passed away as well due to the cold (she was a little bigger than a baseball. I have had her for around 6 years. got her as a year-old goldfish). I also lost both of my betta fish; Bubbles (blue female crowntail), and Courage (a blue-red veiltail).

Tonight, I'm getting a new betta fish... but nothing will replace the fish I've lost. Thankfully I still have a few adult guppies, some fry, Cory the green cory catfish, and Rubix the ryukin goldfish.

Lesson learned? Watch your fish closely during a power outage...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's a shame. I'm surprised the goldfish didn't make it. I guess it was the sudden change it couldn't acclimate fast enough.
    I guess you have power now?

3. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    For years we've been wanting to get a whole house backup generator... just hasn't been in the budget yet. I hope to do that before next winter.

4. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    After this experience, I want a generator like that too. We have a small one to power the freezer (half a cow in beef...), and that's pretty much it. Hopefully you can get one of those generators.

I was surprised too... we tried to warm her up next to the fire, but it was too late. Yep, we got it back around 24 hours ago, after being out for 36 hours.

5. Chikenbutwut

Chikenbutwut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Benton, KY
    Oh, I'm so very sorry you lost your fish. [​IMG]

We went through the same thing with an ice storm that hit the area yrs. ago, knocking out the power for two wks. We tried so hard to keep the fish alive, but they didn't make it. We lost all of them, including our little Cherry Barb that we had for 8 yrs. [​IMG]

We've got a generator now (a used one), but I sure wish we'd had one back then.

6. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Thanks .

Awh. It's very sad, and I'm forutnate to still have some of my fish, including a new one, named Sky.

[​IMG]

7. Chikenbutwut

Chikenbutwut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Benton, KY
    You're welcome.

I'm glad you still have some of them left.

Ooh, Sky is gorgeous! [​IMG]

I need to get myself another Betta some time. I haven't had any for a while and I miss having one. [​IMG]

8. Oh, Malibu! Did they power go out because of the snowstorm?

9. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts

He is probably my most beautiful Betta out of the 10 or so I've had in my lifetime. He is actually a half-moon, and is even prettier when he flares.

Bettas are probably my favorite type of fish; so... Majestic.

10. Malibu99

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Yup. We were lucky; there's a 100-year-old woman down the street. We were all worried about her, but thankfully she is okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by