a have a mature BR hen has swollen, red cushion, possible egg impaction

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elko Stacy, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Elko Stacy

Elko Stacy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Elko NV
    I have soaked her for 30 minutes every day and administered tetracycline by mouth.

She is listless, is off feed and has foul smelling yellow liquid discharge..I am afraid to probe in depth and I fear that the eggs are building up in her..She is the dominant female of the flock, this is her 3rd day,,I brace myself everytime I go out to treat her

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

3. Elko Stacy

Elko Stacy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Elko NV
    I guess part of my original thread was cut off..she is a 2 year old barred rock, the dominant hen of the flock of 9..she is dropping off weight wise after being the most aggressive eater of the bunch. She started showing signs 3 days ago.

The weather here has been warmer than usual..they have a coop and house plus a yard, I never leave them in the house or coop for extended periods and usually let them out of their yard everyday to browse,,none of the other girls are showing any signs of any problems..in the past I have had a couple of RIR that get listless and solitary but after soaking and extra attention the bounce back. I can tell this hen is very distressed..she is solitary, won't eat..her cushion after soaking is clearly inflamed..

I have soaked her very day for 3 days..longer today and she loved it.. I have administered tetracycline by water directly into her mouth.for the last 3 days.she puts herself to bed early and other than that just stays to herself and is clearly in a lot of pain. I hesitate to manipulate the cushion..it's hard and swollen..and twice she has shot a bright yellow foul smelling fluid out when I did.

I don't have a lot of hope for her as this goes on..i have tried to educate myself, but this is my first flock of birds and I have been so very lucky so far..I only lost one other BR to a hawk..But I realize this is a common problem...am I doing everything I can short of taking her to a vet? Which I kinda doubt if vets around here cater to chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by