1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

A Hawk on Our Coop (pics)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SewingDiva, Sep 6, 2008.

1. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Literally:

[​IMG]

We have a lot of hawks in our area even though its totally suburban. This one also likes to perch on the roof of our one story house and stare at the chickens. It is not afraid of anything:

(By this point the girls couldn't take it anymore and had skeedaddled into the safety of their coop!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cover those runs!

~Phyllis

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    [​IMG]

3. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

omg! i suggest geting one of those big plastic owls and putting ontop of the coop, hawks are spose to be afraid of them [​IMG]

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh my!! That is a beautiful coop by the way!

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Well, at least you know all of your pesky rats and mice will be well taken care of!

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    That is the cutest little coop. Beautiful hawk, too, as long as it stays away from your chickens.

7. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Gee! That is a brave one! We just had a hawk swoop down yesterday when the girls were in the backyard. Scary!

Is your girl on the left an EE? She looks a lot like my EE, Elsie, who is black with a golden- reddish colored head.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hawks are cool as long as they aren't eating anyone's chickens (of course, I understand the food chain and all that, which is what a covered run and hardware cloth is for!). Great picture! [​IMG]

9. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:She is indeed an EE! Her coloring is more in the dark mahogany range with some subtle barring, although she does have the thick neck feathers and cheek muffs that we see in EE's. Her tail feathers are black with a green sheen. She is by far the prettiest of the three and, ironically, looks rather hawk-like!

~Phyllis

10. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I had a hawk on my coop two days ago, and got pics, but for some reason I am having difficulty uploading them. Ours was a coopers hawk, and my chickens were freeranging, when one started making this awful sound.

I looked, it was right there on top of the old dog kennel//chicken run. Hubby grabbed a camera, I ran outside to do a headcount. None missing, and haven't seen it back here since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by