A Hawk Swooped at My Head Yesterday!

Joel Just Joel

Songster
Jan 8, 2022
East Texas
A hawk swooped at my head yesterday! Or so I thought...
We've never before lost any of our flock to hawks although they frequently circle overhead. Then yesterday I noticed our cute little 4-week-old barred rock was missing. Still not sure where it went, but suspect it became breakfast for a hawk or a dog. Then, later in the day when I was standing in the yard with the flock around me, I heard the flutter of large wings approaching from behind and then claws grappled my collar! I instinctively ducked and swung back at the attacker; thankfully, it wasn't a hawk at all, but rather one of our silly barred rock girls who apparently thought I was a tree because I was wearing a very leafy-looking alpenflage camo shirt. First and last time I'll wear that shirt around the flock!

What's the closest you've been to a swooping hawk?

Last edited:
Was relieved it was only your barred rock -- who will now be influencing your fashion choices!

Sorry about your little one.

Red-tailed hawks aren't uncommon here, but lately a couple have been too close for my comfort. Still, they are less worrisome than the bald eagles who fly into the tall evergreen in the front yard.

The closest I've been to a hawk wasn't a swooping one. It was confidently perched on the roof of my gardening shed, looking over the "buffet" of poultry. I made a run at it, and thankfully, it left with an empty stomach.

A hawk swooped at my head yesterday! Or so I thought...
We've never before lost any of our flock to hawks although they frequently circle overhead. Then yesterday I noticed our cute little 4-week-old barred rock was missing. Still not sure where it went, but suspect it became breakfast for a hawk or a dog. Then, later in the day when I was standing in the yard with the flock around me, I heard the flutter of large wings approaching from behind and then claws grappled my collar! I instinctively ducked and swung back at the attacker; thankfully, it wasn't a hawk at all, but rather one of our silly barred rock girls who apparently thought I was a tree because I was wearing a very leafy-looking alpenflage camo shirt. First and last time I'll wear that shirt around the flock!

What's the closest you've been to a swooping hawk?
Last year while cluckin; around with the girls, I look up see a shadow and hear the commotion of TWO hawks way above the coop. They had their Claws locked together and were swirling down, down, down until they hit the ground and BOOM they took off as soon as they hit the ground. It was an amazing site which I had to research. I later learned that these hawks were mating! What a site!

I get what you're saying! Although I don't want the nearby nesting eagles to hang around my property, some years back, I got to see two of them lock talons and spiral to the ground in a mating dance. It was AMAZING!
It was certainly a once in a lifetime show 🤯 I thought they may have been fighting. Fortunately they didnt put a nest anywhere i later noticed. 🐓❤️

A year who when my khaki duck was a younger duckling I had him outside meeting my two older girls
I would stay with him as he was still smaller
I saw the hawk circling and getting closer and closer I was able to spray my water hose at her
She tried twice then gave up
I have plenty that fly above my yard everyday in the summer
I have a husky that sits out with my ducks that would protect them in a heartbeat and a covered pen area I can keep them in if I need to
My dog has self taught herself to protect them. She is very gentle around them
She is 11 years old

Attachments

• 4D8C76AD-6D7F-4C84-A06D-3C4D780EC7BA.jpeg
    4D8C76AD-6D7F-4C84-A06D-3C4D780EC7BA.jpeg
    956.7 KB · Views: 7
A year who when my khaki duck was a younger duckling I had him outside meeting my two older girls
I would stay with him as he was still smaller
I saw the hawk circling and getting closer and closer I was able to spray my water hose at her
She tried twice then gave up
I have plenty that fly above my yard everyday in the summer
I have a husky that sits out with my ducks that would protect them in a heartbeat and a covered pen area I can keep them in if I need to
My dog has self taught herself to protect them. She is very gentle around them
She is 11 years old
oh I love what you having going on here. your elder Husky has the Perfect job if you ask me. the watcher of all things feathered! <3

Back
Top Bottom