A He or a She. How old till you know for sure?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pne123, Apr 28, 2009.

1. pne123

pne123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I have two RIR chicks about 6 days old. One is almost twice as big as the other. I am wondering if she is a he. I can take pictures of the two to post but what part of the bird should take pictures of?

2. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Did you hatch them? If so, where from? Congrats on them, by the way! Whoohoo! I think taking pic's of their combs, feathering in their rump, top photo of their back, pic's of their legs.... All photos help. So glad you have some healthy chicks! Great job!

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My RIR boys (from TSC) are smaller, and they are over 2 weeks and still have very little tails. Their combs aren't all that pronounced yet.
    About their 2 week bday they started bumping chests and jumping on each other, even though I've known since day 1 who the mouthy dominant one is.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Pullets will do the chest bumping thing too, though maybe not as much. I think for RIR the first really good indication is the redness of the comb. I have 9 wk old RIR and am still not really sure of all of them.

5. pne123

Apr 23, 2009
    We got them from the local feed store. The usually 90% chance of being pullets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  6. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I sure hope poulets do the chest bump'n thing...I have two chicks about a week and half old...(one buff orpington and one barred rock) and I have been giving them meal worms periodically, so today I suppose they are 'getting used to it' and starting to 'expect' it! [​IMG]

soooo today I went in to check on them (no meal worms in hand) and when I put my face over the edge of the brooder to say "hi" they both started squak'n and bump'n chest until they realized there was no worm to be fight'n over...LOL...it was a kind of funny display of rank, yet I'm not certain they have develop their rank just yet???

Anyhow, long story short, I hope poulets bump chest, because I can't have a rooster (let alone TWO of them) [​IMG]

7. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:You need to upload those to photobucket.com or backyardchickens.com's photo place first...can't wait to see them! [​IMG]

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Go to my BYC page and scroll down to the bottom to see pix of my TSC RIR's

9. pne123

Apr 23, 2009
    OK. figured it out.

first pic shows the tails. one on the left is lucy and is 50% bigger. we think she might be luke instead of lucy

second pic lucy (luke) is on the right

third pic is lucy (luke)

and forth pic is chickie.

Chickie is the dominate one but is smaller. way more active than lucy.

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think it's really young to be sure at this point, but they grow so fast in a couple of days you can see a bigger difference!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by