A head of lettuce

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenCat, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    I pick up discarded fruits and veggies at the local store when I'm the "first" one there. cukes, tomatoes, grapes, cabbage leaves. the girls love them. i haven't been the "first" for a few days so I bought a head of lettuce for them. I set the head of lettuce in the feed trough at 7:30 am. The girls have been free ranging all day. i went into the coop at 2:00 pm. the entire head was gone just a little stub end left!!!![​IMG] I guess I'll have to buy them another head tomorrow! [​IMG] It's cold, windy and the girls are well stocked with pellets, scratch, second cut hay, horse and calf maure [​IMG] , but they still love those fresh greens.

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I will hang a head of cabbage in the coop and the girls love it.

3. scalaway

scalaway Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    Cabbage is a big hit in our coop too [​IMG] -- They love it when I throw a head or two in there.. it never lasts long enough for me to take the time to hang it for them [​IMG]! I like giving the girls extras during the winter ( we have over a foot of snow right now!!) because it gives them some greens AND keeps them busy when they can't get out in the crummy weather [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by