1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A healthy chicken's body?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by roz, Aug 2, 2011.

1. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but I realized today that I dont even know what the underside of a healthy chicken feels like. I have been having trouble for the last couple of months now and I've posted my issues, one of which ended up being worms. Anyway, a few, if not most of my 9 girls have been bloated/swollen on their undersides, from where their legs are up to their vents. I have one recovering chicken inside. I wormed them all with valbazen on Friday, and the one inside is finally almost bloat free, but I have been feeling my other girls rears and undersides (never thought I'd spend my days doing that!), a couple of them feel rounded I guess, not jelly like, and it made me wonder what a healthy chicken is actually supposed to feel like. It's been so long since I knew I was checking out healthy chickens that I have no idea anymore! Any info would be greatly appreciated!Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by