A hearty "Thank You" from a novice!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by audreydc1983, Dec 1, 2012.

1. audreydc1983

audreydc1983 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    I would like to thank all of you wonderful folks who make BackYard Chickens a terrific resource for those new to keeping chickens. I just got two 9mo old chickens, an Ameraucana and a Columbian Wyandotte - they wouldn't leave the coop! After researching 'Chicken Treats' and searching for some advice on the forums, I provided water in the coop, and made a trail of treats, three days in a row - and today, they are out and foraging!
    Now, I'm just hoping that my Australorp will stop her bullying behavior - but chickens are like dogs, right? They have a heirarchy to establish. Hopefully, things will work themselves out.

Thanks a lot!
    Audrey

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Yes, chickens have a social heirarchy referred to as the 'pecking order'. Until they sort things out it can be unpleasant, but as long as blood isn't being drawn allow them to have at it. Enjoy your flock.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So glad you are finding the information you need here. With all the members here, chances are somebody has had the similar issues. Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by