A hen laying Double Yolker's

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KansasKid, Aug 26, 2010.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Has anyone had any luck hatching out double yolker's, i have a Rouen laying in a nest that is (was) being sat on by a mallard and i candled the rouen eggs just out of curiosity and all of 'em were double yolker's. The only successful hatch that i have heard of is with ostriches. [​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I've read that your chances are negative with duck eggs. I've never met someone who succeeded either. On the other hand not much to loose if you try. Not a big issue with chicken eggs.

3. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Haha I had this same question earlier, a few threads down, and I have been doing my research!

Apparently Kathrinidad is right about it being a hard hatch, but I have read that it IS doable! There was a twin egg successfully hatched in the UK. Made the news. And a small farmer somewhere in the US midwest claims to have hatched one, but it is not recorded. Double chicken eggs are hatched frequently. Just like those chicken eggs, a double duck egg would need help to hatch if you could bring them "full term." Sometimes you have to make air holes, etc.

I am sooooo trying next season if my hen keeps laying doubles.

*edited because my grammar was atrocious*

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by