1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A hen or Roo??? PLEASE help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sunshinedaisy, Aug 11, 2011.

1. sunshinedaisy

sunshinedaisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    We are new to chickens so need some help here.. A friend of mine gave of us some of her to get started, she thought she had given us 7hens and 1 roo... so one of the ones we all thought was a hen has been very noisey and chasing and pecking all the others in the run including the rooster (he runs scared from her) so im wondering is this bird a hen or a roo??? i have found this bird going in and out sitting on the nest but nothing yet?so is this just part of figuring out the pecking order or a roo.. I think its a fairly young bird also? not even sure of the breed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    totally a hen!!! and shes getting ready to lay an egg REALLY SOON!

3. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    looks like a hen. I have a hen that does that too. She is queen bee and she puts those boys in their place! lol!

4. sunshinedaisy

sunshinedaisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Quote:and you can tell this by????? the color of her comb.... then the name fits her. B*tchin betty (BB)..lol mouthy as all get out..

5. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    I say its a hen too. Her tail is not curled up and long like a rooster. She is laying in a nesting box it looks like she is getting ready to lay an egg. They are loud before they lay. They call it the egg song on this site [​IMG] My chickens woke me up this morning singing the egg song. It doesnt seem like a song...just a lot of loud honking.

She is beautiful.

6. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    She is a Game X hen and may be a bit bird agressive until everyone knows she is the boss of teh flock then it will settle back down.

7. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    I vote hen, too. No fancy saddle feathers near the tail, and neck feathers are short. I have a lady that looks almost exactly like her, but the feathers around her neck are a more buff color. Really pretty! [​IMG]

8. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:Could it be a game hen/buff orpington cross? I was thinking something along those lines for my girl, too...

[​IMG]

9. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    ok I think you might have posted this question twice, I couldn't find my answer and thought I was going crazy. looks like a Buff Columbian Wyandotte hen to me

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Definitely hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by