A hen that crowed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ivybird, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Ivybird

Ivybird Out Of The Brooder

So I have a serama hen named Button, she is fully grown, and lays eggs, but recently my dad has been letting her out of the cage, and letting her roam around the house after a few minautes she will puff up stand up real tall and extend her neck out like a rooster and make this very odd almost crow cluck, she does it 3 times in a row, she only does this when let out, she never does it in her box. She is very attached to me and is very talkative around me and others I'm wondering if she is possibly trying to crow, maybe to try and get attention from people, or find me. I heard hen will crow like this somtimes, to get others attention. She isn't laying an egg or alert/alarmed when she crows. Shes still lays regular eggs too. Any idea on what kind of behavor button is displaying?

2. thecluckcrewcam

thecluckcrewcam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    well if she lays egg than it is a hen no matter what my girls do this too i just think that it is because they want food is the door to your coop open when they are out and can they get to there food and water if not that is probably why she is making that noise nothing to worry about it is just there way of talking hope that helps
    win
    thecluckcrewcam.com

3. Ivybird

I know shes not boy. But when shes out she can easly get back in her cage. She really likes people, theres no other chickens or animals besides her. She will follow everyone around. And is very talkative and bouncy when she sees me. So maybe she just wants food? She only does this with my dad around so I'm wondering if she crows to try and find me? I know roosters crow to find there hens! ^^

4. thecluckcrewcam

thecluckcrewcam Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    so what your saying is that there is only one chicken? because if that is so then you should get her a another one to play with it would just have to be big or you would have to raise it and then gradually get them to go together because you always have at least two hens
    hope this helps
    win
    thecluckcrewcam.com

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She may very well be 'calling' you as she perceives that you are part of her flock.

6. Ivybird

The reason for me not getting her playmates is because she is imprinted on humans, and will fight with other chickens. Once she beat up a huge astrolorp hen. She's not stressed, sad, lonely, I take her out everyday and hold her for hours let her run around and eat treats. So she's pretty spolied. The fact she only makes the noise when others take her out make me think she's trying to find me. ^^ And the only other person who lets her out is my dad. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by