A hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kokeff, Jan 6, 2013.

1. kokeff

kokeff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    We hatched two of our own eggs for the first time! (well, started with 8 but only 2 hatched). The mother was a black copper maran, and the Roo a Blue Maran. The two chicks came out total opposite. One all black, large comb (they were born in Oct), and 99% positive a big ol' roo. The other...has had some challenges. "It" came out blue, beautiful. But it was the first egg hatched and came out of its shell very quickly, leaving some yolk to be absorbed etc. We did all that we were told with trying to get the chick to soak in more of its yolk before going into the brooder and everything seemed fine. It seemed healthy, ate properly etc. Now, 3 months old, it seems to have had some issues. Not sure if its from the quick hatch or what. But im positive its almost fully blind. Thats been confirmed by the vet as well. We force feed it from a syringe to make sure its getting enough food and water, but it seems to be doing better. It's always been a bit smaller than the other chicks that hatched at the same time, and it has no comb! Im guessing its a hen, but even if so, shouldn't a maran hen still have a comb? Could it be a small roo? Let me know what you think! Im guessing it wont grow a comb, and that could be a defect from its hatch?

[​IMG]

2. kokeff

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    another picture...hard to get a good one!

[​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    My mom has blue and black copper marans and I look at your picture and I see a blue sumatra pullet which I have blacks and dun sumatras here a picture of a young dun pullet

[​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that chick does not have a single comb and is not a marans sorry. i do agree that it looks more like a sumatra

5. kokeff

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for the replies, but we hatched this one and have the mother and father. So there's no way it could be anything but a Marian. Unless a roo from another farm came over in the middle of the night and let himself in! It's a stumper. I don't get it!

6. kokeff

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Maran *

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Either your roos or hens are not pure. Are they from a hatchery?

8. kokeff

Oct 6, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Yes they both were.

9. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

A lot of hatcheries have mixed blood in their birds. Looks like your pullet has some sort of pea comb, though it's really hard to tell from the pictures. It also might be developing very slowly. (BTW, all chickens have combs, some types are just less prominent than others). I think a single comb breed can sometimes throw pea comb chicks; with mixed blood in the lines, it might be even more likely. Would love for you to post pictures of the mom and dad, for curiosity's sake...

And she is looking like a pullet so far [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by