A hermit crab tractor!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ChickensAreSweet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My DS and I just put our hermit crabs outside under a metal strainer in the grass (in the shade)- I got the idea from chicken tractors.

I thought they might be bored in their terrarium.

[​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Did you get any pictures? [​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:No, hubby is the one who takes pics around here, not me. But we have 4 crabs under there. With painted shells (they were that way when we bought them).

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:No, hubby is the one who takes pics around here, not me. But we have 4 crabs under there. With painted shells (they were that way when we bought them).

Aw, too bad. I'd love to see the hermit crab tractor (and the hermit crabs, of course. They're so cool. [​IMG]).

5. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Pics or it didn't happen. lol.

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Wow, it never occured to me that hermit crabs would get bored! What a kind, considerate hermit crab owner! [​IMG]

7. ChickensAreSweet

They do get bored, just like chickens.

It was recommended on a website I found with info on hermit crabs, to rearrange the "furniture" in the terrarium periodically so that they don't get too bored.

One of the favorite activities of our 4 hermit crabs is to go "shell-shopping." We place them in an open-topped container with about 10 other empty shells (the next size up for them and some even bigger).

They love to go into the larger shells and hold onto both their old shell and their new shell. So you have to pick up both shells when you lift them.

8. Goldenseal

Goldenseal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Central MN
    Hermits are so fun, I have a bunch in my saltwater aquariums, they are full of antics.

I made a video of my ginormous electric blue hermit crab trying to change
    shells in my tank, I wasnt sure I could post it here, since there are a couple
    off color words in it.....apparently the crab has a potty mouth! [​IMG]

9. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    AWESOME! This made my nite![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by