A home for the ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FeelingDucky, Feb 22, 2017.

1. FeelingDucky

FeelingDucky Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    So we're just starting to draw the plans for our duck house. We'll be getting ten ducklings in March, and can't wait! So my question is....would it be better to build one long, large duck house, about 10x6, or could we build two smaller ones? I want to make sure they all have enough room, but like the idea of two smaller ones better. The house will be attached to a large run, and they will have the option of staying in the run or sleeping inside at night, free ranged during the day.

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    This is tough. The 2 small houses would be good because then you can separate ducks that need a "time out" or have an injury or are raising ducklings. The issue I see is that with two houses the ducks might not naturally separate.

Maybe one house, that is easily divided in two, ideally with 2 entrances so that when you divide it, both side have access.

1 person likes this.
  3. FeelingDucky

FeelingDucky Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion! I liked the idea of two, but am afraid they would all try to pile into one. We're getting two runners, and a friend told me they wouldn't socialize with the other ducks which is why I thought of different houses. [​IMG]

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I know a few runners who think they're geese, and ducks who think they're chickens. It might not be an issue if they're being raised in a flock together.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by