A Homegrown Thanksgiving Bird

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SproutGirl, Nov 9, 2008.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    This Thanksgiving, we will be having one of our own home grown birds for the first time ever. Nothing fancy--just a mutt chicken that we hatched from a farmer's market egg. But this will be a big deal for us since it will be the first time that we will be having home grown meat. I haven't the stomach to process the bird myself, though! But it will be such a privilege to have many of our Thanksgiving dishes from our own backyard, including the bird for the first time.

Is anyone else having a homegrown bird this Thanksgiving?

2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm thinking to do this for next year turkey dinner.
    I want to have my dinner from my own backyard.
    [​IMG]

3. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    who will process the bird for you?

I'm sure many will be having home grown Thanksgivings but I will not be one of them since I have all layers rather than meat birds and in my experience, even the layer/meat mixes are tough and stringy compared to grocery store birds.

Are you sure your mutt chicken is more of a meat type body? I only ask so that you don't have a disappointing holiday dinner. If you are uncertain, you may try having another one of your birds of the same type before Thanksgiving to see, so you have a good dinner on the holiday.

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:We have decided to invite a Bourbon Red tom to be our guest of honor this Thanksgiving. We were going to have a Midget White but the BR is more filled out so the Midget will wait for Christmas.

Steve in NC

5. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    We're having one of our own Narragansett Turkeys for Thanksgiving this year. Congrats on your first homegrown meal!! [​IMG]

6. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    We have been growing our own turkeys for about 7 yrs now.
    This yr we didn't let them get as big as last yrs he was 49 lbs. and tasted great.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We have turkeys we grow out for Thanksgiving.

This year we will also have quail.

I have geese for Christmas goose as well as ducks.

We process extra roosters all the time. I did 13 yesterday.

I also dressed a ram lamb for the freezer on Saturday. You can read about it on my blog if you like.

You cannot get better meat than home grown.

8. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I wanted to do my own turkey for next year! Im thinking I will hatch a few with my late winter/early spring chicks. We will have store-bought turkey this year and some venison from this season. Next year- HOME GROWN ALL THE WAY!

9. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    SussexInSeattle, we will be taking our birds to a local, reputable meat processor that a lot of local hunters frequent. We have absolutely no idea what lineage these birds have since they come from a local, 5 acre free-range organic egg farm that is home to mostly egg-production birds, but also several exotic species as well. In short, mom and pop could be anyone of the 300+ chickens on the farm! These birds don't look especialy meaty like cornish birds, but they aren't scrawny either, so we were hoping they would taste okay anyway. Hmm. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I processed this one myself last month as a practice run for Thanksgiving day, it turned out very well. Our Thanksgiving day bird will go at least 50 lbs and we will process him a few days before the big day, just hope he fits in the oven hehe.

AL

Practice run bird

[​IMG]

This is Tom he will be Thanksgiving dinner

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by