a horrible Friday

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by shellyga, Jun 25, 2011.

1. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    First let me say that my flock free-ranges in my 1 acre fenced front yard during the day and cooped at night... and that after a hawk attack back in Feburary, I decided to keep a second roo that was almost mature.. and have several other juvenile roos in the flock based on advice from fellow BYCers.
    Being in a rural area - I know there are risks to free ranging but I feel my chickens are happier.. most of the time.

Well, this horrid story begins with a flock of happy chickens in the yard yesterday. I was taking Freecycle boxes to the end of my driveway (a long one) that is parrallel to the front yard. On my second trip back... I hear my two mature rooters giving their warning calls urgently.. I look up to see 5 of my roosters.. the two grown and 3 young ones rushing out towards the center of the yard...(although the youngesters were pulling up the rear in the charge) In what seems like slow motion - I see one of my young black australorps running in a zig-zag pattern through the yard towards the coop.. I do a quick scan and see the coop is full of watchful chickens..I was having one of those delayed "what is going on" moments when I see a HAWK swoop down and scoop up one of my three week old chicks from my broody mamas It never broke stride as it flew off with my baby. I yelled.. and ran down the driveway (no easy thing for a 50 year old out of shape woman) as if there was something I could do. My heart was broken.

I know this is the cost of raising my chickens the way I do... and I have been lucky not to have any major problem after moving the coop to the fenced front yard spot on our property... but it was so upsetting .. just needed to share

Shelly

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry. I've had similar issues with birds of prey here. My neighbors have not had a loss to a hawk/eagle since getting turkeys. I'm seriously considering doing the same.

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story. My girls roam free in my fenced backyard and I know it's a risk we take. I live in the city and mostly see turkey vultures around.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss. It sounds like your roosters were ready to sacrifice themselves.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the same issues with airborne killers. Try setting out some brush piles, low sunshades, picnic tables etc so the birds have a close place to hide under. A good rooster is the first to the fight, sounds like you have several. Hang tough and hopefully the hawk will move on to easier hunting, or SSS!

6. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG] So, so sorry for the loss.

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i'm really sorry to hear about that [​IMG] lot's of hugs [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]

I know how heart braking it can be to lose a cherished feathered friend.

9. chickcorner

chickcorner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Ma
    I had my chicks free ranging one day when I saw my Border Collie, corgi mix ruffling with one of the chicks, so i yelled at her to stop it just than a hawk came swooping down over there heads my heart dropped, did i feel like a heal and praised her so much for protecting them ,how she new I don't know but I am so Lucky to have her, So sorry for your loss.

10. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Thank you everyone.. for your words of comfort.. logically I know it is just what happens and is natures way.. but I wish the hawk had chosen a rat, or wild something..anything... for a meal instead of my baby.. I appreciate the kind comments.

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by