A hot mess of issues!! From impacted/ sour crop to now seizure? Or maybe vitamin deficiency?

Jandsloch

Songster
Apr 3, 2019
Nw pa
Back story…Ok so about 2.5 weeks ago my boy (7mo ish old) fell off the roost. He walked about like he was drunk. It was thought to be a vitamin deficiency so I was giving him vitamin e mixed in scrambled egg for about 4 days before he vomited on my daughter with nasty smelling yuck….ok sour crop…but at same time it was impacted. So after nearly a week in a cage in the coop we brought him inside. Coconut oil fixed the crop impaction. Gave monistat 3 times a day for 3 days then twice a day for 4 days. His balance was better no more falling over drunk…no more knee wobbles. So after a week of crop treatment we reintroduced him back to the coop On Saturday. monday morning I pulled up my cam and he wasn’t to be found. I went through events and one minute he was there then the next event he was flailing about on the floor under the ramp. I went out and placed him in a cage to be looked over. I watched him all day Monday…nothing. we Let him out of the cage and he was runnin about as normal and up to roost as normal. Around 10pm I checked on cam and he’s in the board under roosts….so again I go through events and he was thrashing about like he was having a seizure! We brought him in. Most of the night his neck under his chest and legs and body trembled.…toes curled body tensed. We wrapped him so He couldn’t hurt himself. By morning (630ish) I turned the light on to get a better look and he seems to snap out of it. He’s eating and drinking. He stands normal and walks normal. I’m now noticing he will look down under himself and flip over on his back…he’s learned to recover but wondering if this is scaring him in the night and causing his flailing about tense body etc. I have started the vitamin E again twice a day today mixed in scra,bled egg. Also added bee pollen (natural anti inflammatory and antibiotic) and for lunch he had scrambled egg with a small drizzle of raw honey. Could the sour Crop (as I am not sure how long it was like that) have caused a huge upset in his system? He has had probiotics in his water Saturday and Sunday. He’s had vitamins (rooster booster) in his water monday (everybody had vitamins). Any ideas? And if he seems ok so far is it beneficial to keep trying to help him? He doesn’t currently seem in pain. It appears so far that when he flips he recovers himself and doesn’t thrash about.

So a wee update this is possibly wry neck or crooked neck? He looks down (haven’t seen him straighten his neck up all the way) then his head goes under himself, he flips over and recovers. When I pick him up he starts flailing about in my arms. I pick up his head because at thesis point it’s wriggling about u def him and he is perfectly fine. When we turned out light to go to bed he again starts flailing about over and over and my thoughts were he’s scared bc he doesn’t know what’s happening to him. We have turned on a red light so he can see….i watched for about 30 min his head goes under….he either tumbles and recovers or he flails for a hot second and looks up. Ugh any suggestions?

I agree it does sound like neurological symptom Wry Neck. Some common causes of this symptoms are Marek's disease, Newcastles, trauma and vitamin deficiency.

I would try vitamin therapy to see if it helps. 400IU Vitamin E, 1/4 Tablet B-Complex and a little egg once a day. See that he's eating/drinking well - chick starter or an all flock feed for a 7 month old cockerel would be best, imho.

Do make sure that his crop is emptying. Crop issues are often yet another symptom of an underlying condition.

I agree it does sound like neurological symptom Wry Neck. Some common causes of this symptoms are Marek's disease, Newcastles, trauma and vitamin deficiency.

I would try vitamin therapy to see if it helps. 400IU Vitamin E, 1/4 Tablet B-Complex and a little egg once a day. See that he's eating/drinking well - chick starter or an all flock feed for a 7 month old cockerel would be best, imho.

Do make sure that his crop is emptying. Crop issues are often yet another symptom of an underlying condition.
O yes his crop is emptying.last week with him it was impacted and sour. Now this. I have done vitamin e twice yesterday and again this morning. We will add in some feed today. I hadnt given him feed as I was worried his crop was sour. Which this morning it’s empty and I haven’t smelled nasty ness lol Last week before we realized his crop was sour he was drunk walking and couldn’t stand. I actually thought it was vitamin def. till I realized his crop was sour. By the weekend he was walking about perfectly normal. Runnin through the yard etc. I’ve consistently checked his crop every morning to be sure it’s still emptying. I wonder if there isn’t an injury to his head I missed? Or do u think the vitamins will help. He sure does eat and drink happily lol should I maybe add in turmeric to help with blood flow and a possibly toxicity issue?

I wanted to add I have rooster booster and probiotics in his water. shpuld I still gibpve him the b complex. Or is this sufficient

You did mention it in the first post.

What does the analysis on your rooster booster say?
Oh my first mention was he had it Monday lol I added it back in this morning as for analysis of rooster booster….it’s listed amounts per lb or per container so I have no idea really what he is receiving per day. So perhaps I should do the b complex. I usually just add rooster booster to everyone’s waters once a month along with probiotics. I’ve never had a problem with wry neck or vitamin deficiency ever so this guy is throwing a lot of firsts at me. Including the crop issues :he

for analysis of rooster booster….it’s listed amounts per lb or per container so I have no idea really what he is receiving per day. So perhaps I should do the b complex. I usually just add rooster booster to everyone’s waters once a month along with probiotics. I’ve never had a problem with wry neck or vitamin deficiency ever so this guy is throwing a lot of firsts at me. Including the crop issues
Right. That's what I figured. I'm not doing the math on all that LOL
This is why I suggested the specific vitamin and "dose" in the previous post:)

Wry Neck is the name of a "symptom" - there's a cause for that symptom - whether it's disease like Marek's or some other disease/condition, etc., hard to know. Vitamin therapy is the first thing to try. Getting a fecal float to see if internal parasites are an issue, inspecting feed for molds, etc. are always a good idea as well.
If you lose him, then having a necropsy may reveal the cause.

Wry Neck is the name of a "symptom" - there's a cause for that symptom - whether it's disease like Marek's or some other disease/condition, etc., hard to know. Vitamin therapy is the first thing to try. Getting a fecal float to see if internal parasites are an issue, inspecting feed for molds, etc. are always a good idea as well.
Ok I’m on it thank u :) don’t think it’s mareks. No other symptoms just looks down and flips over. picks himself back up and acts like nothing has happened. Unless it’s dark then he flails about like a dying rooster. I think in the dark when he flips over he is disoriented and panics. Report from my daughter the amount of times he’s “flipped” today has lessened from yesterday. He stands fine, walks fine, eats and drinks fine. inwill add the b complex in his evening scrambled egg and vitamin e dessert ;) I appreciate your insight. Perhaps there is a “worse” underlying condition is the cause however I gotta do what I can do physically. Nearest avian vet is hours away. The closest to me moved last year. Yes necropsy of course if he passes but currently I’m hopeful. I will continue crop checks in the morning as well.

So I did vitamin e 3x a day for 8 days, b complex once a day for 4 days and turmeric 3x a day for 5 days. He was doing wonderful. Thursday and Friday he slept no light needed no neck curls nothing. We placed him in coop in a cage Friday evening. Sunday evening we let him out and he now has knee wobbles. to describe when he stands his leg bends normal but after a bit it bends forward rather than backwards. This is the reason for our isolation nearly a month ago. Thought to be vitamin def. but found out it was sour/impacted crop. Once we treated that his knees were fine.….then wry neck….now back to knee wobbles! he is back into isolation but in a cage in the coop. He seems to not be bothered by it but I am…it looks like his knee is going to break when he stands there! Ugh! Last night I did spy his neck curling under himself and he fell off the “Roost” (it’s an inch off ground) and backed himself into corner as he had done before but he then stood up and corrected himself placed his head under his wing. Did I not do enough vitamin treatment for him? He eats like a hog and drinks like a fish so that’s not an issue. I was also thinking maybe he injured the leg previously? But it wasn’t wobbly last week. Or is it a re-injury? Ugh too many what if’s. What would u think is going on with this guy? I’m sure if it were marek’s he would have been gone when all this started a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom