A incubating question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by M To The Maxx, Sep 12, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Right now our hens are not laying do to a deadly disease going around in our coops. When they start laying again I will put eggs in the bator. My question is: When I put the eggs in the bator do I put the eggs in the bator then turn it on or first turn the bator on then put the eggs in? What should I do first?

2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Definitely read up on hatching before you start this! https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-hatch.html

So
    , make sure your incubator has been on and stabilized for a good 24 hours before you put in the eggs. What incubator do you have?

Best of luck!

~Cherlyn

3. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    Turn the bator on first and let it get to the proper temp for incubating. You want to make sure the bator temp is properly adjusted AND maintained before adding eggs. Give it a full day incase you need to make adjustments.
    If the temp in the bator is too low, eggs won't develope. If it's too high the eggs will cook.

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I have a Little Giant Still Air incubator.

5. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:I have a Little Giant Still Air incubator.

I suppose it was silly for me to ask this - I live in England and am not familiar with the LGs. But I know lots of folks use them!

~Cherlyn

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A still air bator needs 101-102 degrees at the top of the eggs. These can be hard to regulate, prone to spikes in temp, so be sure the bator is not in any drafts or direct sunlight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by