A&J Farm

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by milliefleur, Mar 30, 2012.

1. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i was wondering if anyone has ordered from them? was wondering what quality of the birds. looking the d'uccles and just would like to get some good quality.

2. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I was thinking about trying them, but I am having some reservations. Let me know what you decide and if they are any good if you go with them. Were you going to pick up from them?

3. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i ordered soeme blue MF d'uccles and porcelains and a few other standard size chickens. so far with the service i am pleased we will have to see about the quality of the peeps and how many are alive when i receive them. hope everything goes well.

4. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    When I talked with them in late winter they were adamant about not shipping birds, now they ship. It concerns me whenever a business changes models so dramatically. I understand the shipped birds come from a facility in a different state, MO, I think. I hope they are all healthy and happy chicks. I will keep an eye on your post to see how they turn out.

5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    While I have not ordered from them I also thought it was strange that they were so against shipping and now offer it.

6. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have never ordered from them before as I've ordered my d'uccle chicks from Ideal Poultry since that hatchery is in my state.. I would like to see how it goes when the chicks arrive.

7. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i will let you know how things go. i get them on the 21st of may.

8. SeiShonagon

SeiShonagon New Egg

May 12, 2012
    I ordered four Faverolles from them in January. I wouldn't recommend them.

They were very friendly at first, and when I called the next day to change my order they were very obliging. $50 for four chicks - seemed quite steep, but they advertise as organic. But then there was a many-month delay, and I eventually received a very nasty phone message informing me that I had to contact them within 24 hours or my chicks would be considered 'abandoned.' When I called to explain that I was waiting on a delayed order the guy argued with me, and kept demanding a five dollar 'late fee.' Then he abruptly put me on hold, and then with no apology came back and told me I just had to pay a 'farm raise' fee (which I had already paid).

The 'farm' is just a trailer in the middle of town, it smelled of cigarette smoke, and the owner was downright rude. I ordered three pullets and a rooster, but they replaced my rooster with a pullet because "some male chicks died," and now several weeks later I'm finding that one of the chicks isn't a Faverolle at all. One of them has a bent beak, and they seem very "bottom of the barrel," but after all I went through to get them I don't want to return them. But I certainly won't be buying any more chicks from A&J Farms.

9. JerseyHen

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    SeiShonagon, thanks for the information. It is too bad because I would actually consider driving the 3 hours to pick up chicks if they were decent because I am not keen on shipping again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by