1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A January Molt???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishnet1971, Jan 2, 2013.

1. I have a 2 1/2 year old hen that has never 'really' molted to say. Her feathers are brittle, nasty, freyed and all around not good. I have watched her for the last year waiting for a molt. nothing. Looked carefully for new little pin feathers here and there. her back is partially bare because of my 'Bird. She has never seemed to be overmated, but who knows! I thought she was getting sick the last few weeks. - Cranky, lethargic, hunched up on the roost. Gave her a shot of antibiotic. She has broken and freyed outer feathers and her downy feathers left. Monday I noticed she was preening and a few of the downy feathers were falling out. Tuesday I picked her up and about 5 or 6 came out in my hand. This morning I see a dozen or so down feathers on the coop floor.

Can she be molting in JANUARY???????? normal?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes she can molt in January. It all depend on when they started laying and when they were born.

3. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    I have an easter egger who is 10 months old and also seems to be in molt. She stopped laying 10 days ago and in the last week I have seen a lot more loose feathers around than usual. Every time she fluffs up and shakes a few feathers fall out. Mainly the downy ones but I have seen a few contour feathers hanging loosely off her back and wings. There are clumps of feathers on the coop floor every morning so she must be preening on the roost. She still looks fully feathered so I am hoping it will be light molt. Seems a bit cold to be shedding feathers! My 10 month old lavenvelder hen is still laying and does not seem to be loosing feathers. Maybe it is a function of both breed and age?

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If you see the pin feathers, she's molting. I have several that just started molting within the last couple weeks.

5. yea, I found a couple of the pin feathers too. that's when I did a big sigh of relief and figured that's what going on. She is an April of 2010 hen. so, no molt in winter 2010, should have molted in winter of 2011 but didnt. Not even 1 or 2 feathers here or there. This is the first time i have seen a feather ever drop from her. I am glad really. Her feathers are in HORRIBLE shape. broken, ragged, half missing as i said.

6. I found definite pin feathers on her neck!!!! where they have been really broken off and freyed, NEW PINS!!!!!!! finally finally FINALLY she is molting. It will be so nice for her to get new feathers. I have never seen a chicken need them more than her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Don't forget to take pictures of her when she looks really pathetic in her molt. [​IMG]

8. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I have several molting right now and they truly look hideous! I see all of these beautiful hen pics here, on pinterest, etc., and I just wish my girls were pretty, but I know they'll get it together soon. Of 23 layers I'm only getting about 6 or 8 eggs a day!

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Over 30 layers here, and I'm getting 3-4 per day.

10. that makes me feel so much better. Out of my 9 hens, i am getting 4 a day. I feel so bad. She is just miserable today. I cant believe how quickly the new ones are coming in. Seems like overnight i see a ton of pins. Deffinitly going to keep the camera handy. poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by