A Joyful Story

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by FreeChicken!, Jan 5, 2011.

1. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Here is my story. In spring, 2010, my Rhode Island Red hen decided to go broody. My dad said that if I could manage to hatch chicks, then I would be allowed to. So I was super excited. It took seven weeks and seven eggs. The first three eggs broke in a week. But Simone was determined. She laid another egg. Only a day before it was supposed to hatch, a rat stole it. Three more eggs were laid. Three weeks later, I gave the chickens their usual feed, then went to collect the eggs. No one had laid any. There were only the usual three, the ones marked with a giant "S" in pencil-- Simone's eggs. I had lost track of how long we'd had those eggs and now that it had been seven weeks, I was feeling a little discouraged. One of the eggs had a crack in it and I thought: "Oh no! We've lost another!" I picked the egg up to inspect it and it peeped and shook! After carefully setting the egg down, I ran inside, yelling "ONE OF THE EGGS IS HATCHING!!!" I was so dizzy with excitement that I was almost sure I was dreaming. Luckily, I wasn't!
    I got out an old rabbit cage and made it cozy for Simone and her eggs. Then I put the four in it. Simone was upset and kept shoving the eggs around. So I got a shoebox, filled it with hay, and put the eggs in it. Simone sat down and looked smugly up at me as if to say, "Don't you dare touch them. They're my babies. My babies. At last."

So, here's some pictures of the hatching of that egg:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's some videos from the day after he hatched:

Simone says: "What are you doing out there, young man?"
    http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/wanae/?action=view&current=WhatAreYouDoingOutThere.mp4

He just can't leave his mama alone! [​IMG]
    http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/wanae/?action=view&current=PipLovesHisMama.mp4

So there are the pics and vids. [​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Congrats! How many did you get just one?

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] Good story.. Very joyful! [​IMG]

4. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Yes, sadly, only one chick. He lives happily with my other 12 chickens. His mommy no longer likes him and bites him if he gets too close, but he always has me! [​IMG]

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention: His name is Pip. It fits because his father's name is Squeak!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by