A lady gave me a dozen eggs and I wonder if they have a chance of hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stone_family3, Feb 5, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    She said they were laid between Tuesday and Saturday and were put in the fridge. Fridge is the same temp as it is outside 32 ish degrees. I so I set them on the counter to warm them up a bit.

Do you think they'd hatch?

2. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    yes there is a chance. she does have a roo in with the hens right? lol.. you have a fair chance try it..

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    She has a roo with her hens.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I've hatched out a lot of eggs that were stored in the fridge for several days. I'd definitely give it a try if I were you [​IMG]

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Hmm thanks everyone I'll give it a try. Instead of my little box incubator DH said he would give me his broken wine cooler :) Looks like I'm going to be doing a decent sized hatch!

Hehehe I'm so excited.

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    If she really keeps her fridge at 32 (that is really cold for a fridge) then I don't think they would hatch, that is too cold. Now if is kept warmer, I believe most fridges are kept around 50 then they may hatch.

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    The fridge was on her covered porch so it was the same as the outside temps.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The temperature outside the fridge may have been 32* F, but that does not mean the temperature inside was. Those things are really well insulated, the motor would not be running to cool it if it were that cold, and it would take quite a while for the inside of the fridge to cool off that much because of the insulation. Of course, it depends on how long the outside temperature was at 32* F and how much she opened it. A fridge is usually not a constant temperature inside. Depending on the specific fridge, there can be a surprising difference in different spots. But, yes, if it was outside in those temperatures, odds are it got pretty cool inside.

Some people store hatching eggs in refrigerators and do OK. The ones that do best at this usually keep the refrigerator a bit warmer than normal and keep the eggs in the warmer part of the fridge. In hot climates, this may be the best way to store hatching eggs.

The colder they are stored and the longer they are stored at that temperature, the less likely they are to hatch. It is not an on-off switch where at a certain temperature it goes from all will hatch to none will hatch. Each egg can be a little different. The longer they are stored at cold temperatures, the less likely each individual egg is to hatch.

So is it possible they will hatch? Yes, you may get some or even all to hatch. Is it likely? If they were truly close to 32* for any length of time, I'd guess not very.

You can certainly try them and see what happens, but I'd think you'd have a much greater chance of success if you could get her to store new eggs on her counter top or somewhere at room temperature. If they are only stored five days, you don't even need to turn them, but it does help if they are stored pointy side down to help keeep the air sac in the right place. Again, it helps to store them pointy side down. There is not an on-off switch on this either. But it helps.

9. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    32F is the freezing temperature.. But i've picked up eggs from my chickens in the 20's..and hatched them..but I pick up daily so they probably weren't out there very long after being laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by