A lady that rescued some commercial birds years ago asked me....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Aug 11, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    if I had noticed that my own rescued commercial (cornish Xs) birds were as dumb as a box of rocks. About ten years ago there was a terrible ice storm in the area and she ended up with a ton of them after the ice destroyed a commercial house.
    I tried to defend these poor birds by talking about how sweet and docile they are, but in the end I had to agree with her. I love my little meaties to death, but they are so dumb it's pitiful. [​IMG]
    They make your average backyard birds look like genuises. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  2. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Quote:And that is saying a LOT. I am constantly amazed at how dumb my beloved chickens are. Almost every day I spout one or two "God love em, but they aren't too bright."

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah, I have a few not-so- bright layers and layer chicks (one word: silkies!) but the meaties are the ones that make me say "bless their little hearts" and "God love em all the time". [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had meaties before, and god yes they are dumber than a box of rocks for sure. But I agree they tend to be very sweet, my granddad told me "The way I figure it, they are just too plain dumb to know how to be mean, much less the right sense to run from danger." [​IMG] he had a point, I have seen them run right up to a dog when they got loose, and I bet the ones we lost when I was a kid probably served themsleves up to the foxes because they asked nicely. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] You're probably right! [​IMG]
    When I comment to my DH about how dumb they are, he tells me that Tyson doesn't care whether they have any more brains than it takes to find the feeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by