A large pointy growth on the back of each leg? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SquishyPandas, Apr 5, 2012.

1. SquishyPandas

SquishyPandas Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    I have just noticed that one of my hens, Holly, has what looks like a large, pointy growth on the back of each leg? It's about half way up the leg so it doesn't touch the ground, she has four toes on each foot... so it's not a toe, I'm really worried, it looks horrible! I have never noticed it before, but I can't say for definite that she has never had it because I just don't know, this will teach my to be more observant I guess. She was a commercial hen before I adopted her from a rescue society if that makes a difference? Please help though I'm worried about her!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'm assuming they're not spurs. Otherwise, I think we're gonna need pictures.

3. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan

I agree on pictures. Unless there is a very detailed description about the growths, it's kind of impossible to know whether they are spurs or some abnormal growth.

4. SquishyPandas

Mar 30, 2012
    I know these aren't hens legs but they look exactly like the ones on the far right. :) Thanks!

[​IMG][/URL

5. K-12 Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Well, those are spurs then! [​IMG] Nothing to worry about! One of my hens has a spur growing on one of her legs.

6. SquishyPandas

Mar 30, 2012
    Oh, wow, thank you! :D I've never heard of spurs before! Thank you so much! :weee

7. K-12 Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Your welcome! Usually only roosters have visible spurs, but hens occasionally grow them. If you look on the back of a hen's leg that doesn't have a visible spur, you will see a small bump where the spur would be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by