A large raccoon visited the chicken run last night...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kikwi, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Kikwi

Kikwi Out Of The Brooder

When I stepped out this morning, the girls were all safe and sound! Chicken fort knox wins! [​IMG]

Just wanted to throw that out there since there are so many sad stories in this forum.

In case you are wondering how our run is built, we have an interior and exterior layer of 2x4 welded wire, 1/2" hardware cloth skirted out for 1' and up the sides by 2'. The doors each have a bolt latch locked in place with a carabiner and a small wood bar along the bottom edge. 2x4 welded wire roof. Local predators are raccoons, opossum, stray cats, and hawks.

When my husband and I were building the run, he told me when his cousin built one, they tested it by borrowing a raccoon from the local animal shelter and putting it in the run to see if it could get out. He said it immediately set about testing all the corners, joins, and door before shaking walls. I'm glad he insisted on beefing up our security!

Now all we have to do is figure out how to deter the coon from coming inside the cat door...

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by