A Legal Defense Fund for Backyard Chickens ? Who is Funding it ?

wpalmisano

Songster
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Connecticut
OK. I am also big into hunting and fishing. We are always under attack from what we call the "antis" or anti hunting anti fishing crowd. Now, many of the manufacturers of boats, tackle, guns, in fact the whole industry act as watchdogs. There are always articles in the fishing and outdoor magazines and such. They combat the antis with outreach programs and legal challenges, hire lobbyists etc.... What I would like to know is any body doing that for us? The feed companies ? Incubator manufacturers ? The big hatcheries ? The APA ? The manufacturers of those poultry waterers and feeders, the list goes on and on. They take our money, and the more folks that are allowed to have poultry, the more profitable for them. Is there any organization working on behalf of Backyard Chicken owners ? If not, why not? Seems to me there are enough of us.

Quote:
Sounds like your the perfect person for the job! The biggest of movements, started with one angry/concerned person. Why dont you start heading something up? Who knows, in a few years it could be a strong organization that helps locals out in their "fight".

Me & My Peeps :

Quote:
Sounds like your the perfect person for the job! The biggest of movements, started with one angry/concerned person. Why dont you start heading something up? Who knows, in a few years it could be a strong organization that helps locals out in their "fight".

Huh, what a shame...... for a minute there, I thought we had a future leader!!​

Me & My Peeps :

Me & My Peeps :

Quote:

Huh, what a shame...... for a minute there, I thought we had a future leader!!

Uh, have a new son born 9/20/10 so haven't been keeping up. I am active on the local level. Here I can have 100 poultry on any legal building lot. I'm all set, but I would be glad to start something. Even contribute financially. I just thought with all the people on here who can't have poultry, there would be a few enterprising souls. Maybe someone like you.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Huh, what a shame...... for a minute there, I thought we had a future leader!!

Uh, have a new son born 9/20/10 so haven't been keeping up. I am active on the local level. Here I can have 100 poultry on any legal building lot. I'm all set, but I would be glad to start something. Even contribute financially. I just thought with all the people on here who can't have poultry, there would be a few enterprising souls. Maybe someone like you typing away in your underwear in your mom's basement.

Wow, that response was rather disappointing. Although it DID educate everyone on the board as to your level of maturity. I honestly DID mean that I was hoping we had someone to start a grass root's movement and help defend our "way of life".

Sorry if you took offense or are sensitive to my comments, for whatever reason. The reality is, that I wont be dragged into a name calling - smear session. I enjoy my time here on BYC and have learned most of what I know about chickens - from the helpful members here. I hope you pass on stronger traits to your child than the "pull the trigger, then look down the barrel to see if you hit anything" approach.

Relax there sport, no offense intended. Make of it - what you will.

I think the problem with the idea, and the reasoning there's not much talk here from you post, is that it's so local. The funding would be relatively large for the number of people in each area. The only place I could possibly see funding going toward an effort that would affect significant numbers of people would be fighting for right to farm laws at the state and national level. This would be fighting agribusiness though. It would cost billions and we'd probably need to get a few people from here on the Supreme Court like Monsantos has done.

To help out local people it is probably best what is being done. There are lots of people who have material to present to the local town boards.

Congratulations on your blessing of a son.

Congrats on your new child, and a noble nod on your thoughts for a new cause... Sadly it does take leadership, not just funding. Glad you brought it up, as it just might spark someone's interest..... Lots of people get the proverbial shaft when it come to bureaucracy. PEACE, and may the chickens be with you!

who do we know that
1. has chickens
2. has money
3. has a media empire
4. scares the bejusus out of people

MARTHA STEWART

I vote we make her our supreme leader in the chicken revolution

BTW congrats on the new baby
hugs.gif

Agreed. If someone started a small "club,group" with proper presentation, it could soon grow into neighboring towns. With the internet being what it is, people would soon sign up as a member, then it could grow to help larger groups,towns,states etc.

I personally think the time is right for a movement like this. With all the awareness of living right, environment, smallholding etc, I believe that within 2 years it would be a nationally recognized "force" or agency.

That was all I meant by my comments...... I certainly didnt mean to upset the natural order or question someones intelligence.

Back
Top Bottom