A LGD in her infancy.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by r4eboxer, Dec 19, 2011.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Thought I would share a little victory moment on my homestead. This is a pic of Sequoia sitting above the chickens watching over them while they finish her lunch at her doghouse on Saturday afternoon. I thought it was really cool to see her doing what she was meant to do so early.

I know this is a minor victory and we have a long way to go but it was great to see.

[​IMG]

If this is in the wrong forum sorry please move [​IMG]

2. wvchickenhouse

wvchickenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Pax, WV
    That's really sweet [​IMG]

3. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:Thanks, I was really blown away when I looked up to see her at her doghouse and saw the chickens. I thought "now where did she go?" and then saw here sitting on the hill just checking things out. Her sister Genevieve has not surprised me with any LGD traits yet but she is the more docile of the two. Pic of Genevieve below

[​IMG]

4. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    That is a great looking dog!!

5. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

That is great! What I love about that picture is that she is completely ignoring the chickens!! Good puppy!

Jim

6. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I love these guys! I got my first one over the summer, and it is amazing how much they "guard" at such an early age. At 3 months old mine growled and barked at a friends' sister and her dog, then came over and sat right in front of me.

They certainly do know their job.

Your team is gorgeous!

7. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Thanks everyone for the polite comments. [​IMG]

I am having some more success with some commands too. The girls want to jump on me in the morning after I let them out of the chicken run (I put them in there for an extra layer of protection at night) so I have been saying stay down and sit down. They are beginning to understand. This morning they wanted to jump on me but sat down and let me love all over them without getting overly excited. They have very sharp claws and I did take a paw to the face a few days ago. It's hard to control them both at the same time but now with some patience they understand what I want. [​IMG]

8. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by