a little advice please..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AGuyWithSomeHen, Nov 2, 2015.

1. AGuyWithSomeHen

AGuyWithSomeHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2015
    It kind of looks like I've got 7 hens and a roo. I think one is a roo anyway. So here's my question. I'm wondering if I should buy an incubator, and if so how big. If I want to use him to hatch new chicks, how long can the fertilized eggs sit before going into the incubator?
    7 eggs a day. do they have to go in the day they're laid, or maybe wait a day or two to get more? If they're laid on different days, then all put in together, I assume they don't all hatch the same day...or do they?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You can save eggs up to two weeks before incubating and still have high % hatch rates. Store at moderate temperatures and humidity, turn daily and I have held eggs far longer than that. Needless to say, they do not have to be incubated the day they are laid. A hen builds a clutch one egg at a time prior to setting. You can do the same thing. All eggs will hatch 21 days after they are placed in the incubator - that is all viable eggs will hatch.

3. AGuyWithSomeHen

Oct 13, 2015
    so at least in theory up to 98 at a time? Wow... that's a lot. I won't be buying an incubator THAT big :)

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

[​IMG] I'm just saying hi, cause I replied to your question on Face Book, but I forgot to mention.....HATCHING IS ADDICTING!!!! lol

5. AGuyWithSomeHen

Oct 13, 2015
    yeah I get the feeling it would be.... :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Depends on how good your incubator is , best success rate I've had in mine is 60% hatch. I prefer to hatch under a broody , then the success rate is much higher. Incubating can be very time consuming and you will also need to set up a brooder with heat. The chicks are generally much friendlier than those reared by momma. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by