a little advice please..

AGuyWithSomeHen

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2015
It kind of looks like I've got 7 hens and a roo. I think one is a roo anyway. So here's my question. I'm wondering if I should buy an incubator, and if so how big. If I want to use him to hatch new chicks, how long can the fertilized eggs sit before going into the incubator?
7 eggs a day. do they have to go in the day they're laid, or maybe wait a day or two to get more? If they're laid on different days, then all put in together, I assume they don't all hatch the same day...or do they?

You can save eggs up to two weeks before incubating and still have high % hatch rates. Store at moderate temperatures and humidity, turn daily and I have held eggs far longer than that. Needless to say, they do not have to be incubated the day they are laid. A hen builds a clutch one egg at a time prior to setting. You can do the same thing. All eggs will hatch 21 days after they are placed in the incubator - that is all viable eggs will hatch.

so at least in theory up to 98 at a time? Wow... that's a lot. I won't be buying an incubator THAT big :)

It kind of looks like I've got 7 hens and a roo. I think one is a roo anyway. So here's my question. I'm wondering if I should buy an incubator, and if so how big. If I want to use him to hatch new chicks, how long can the fertilized eggs sit before going into the incubator?
7 eggs a day. do they have to go in the day they're laid, or maybe wait a day or two to get more? If they're laid on different days, then all put in together, I assume they don't all hatch the same day...or do they?

so at least in theory up to 98 at a time? Wow... that's a lot. I won't be buying an incubator THAT big :)
frow.gif
I'm just saying hi, cause I replied to your question on Face Book, but I forgot to mention.....HATCHING IS ADDICTING!!!! lol

Depends on how good your incubator is , best success rate I've had in mine is 60% hatch. I prefer to hatch under a broody , then the success rate is much higher. Incubating can be very time consuming and you will also need to set up a brooder with heat. The chicks are generally much friendlier than those reared by momma. :)

Back
Top Bottom